Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 14:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Injection Pump Service

Well here is the story. I took it to a local shop and he said the locator pin had worn and the plunger had worn letting the fuel pass into the oil pan. It seems there is no seal except the fit of the plunger in the cylinder. The shop said the locator pin had wallowed out the housing enough to require a new housing/ new pump @ 800.00.
I figured I should get a second opinion, so I sent it to Everglades Diesel in Ft. Lauderdale. I used them for the other pump and liked their service. The owner said it might take a little work but he could re-build it. Three days later they called and said it was good as new. They machined a new locator pin from another housing they had, and "done deal" It ended up costing 500.00 total for shipping etc. etc.
I put it back on today and we are back up and running. Because it was the old housing it required no timing change, just use the existing shim and all is good. I guess time will tell if it fixed the problem, but it was definitely broke and needed to be fixed!!!!!!!!
Everglades Diesel Injection Services, Inc.
243 Southwest 33rd Court
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315 Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, from
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Sales and Service:
(800) 843-3931 (Toll-Free)
(954) 522-1780
Fax:
(954) 522-1781

E-mail Directory
Office: admin@evergladesdiesel.com
Service: service@evergladesdiesel.com
Parts: parts@evergladesdiesel.com
Bill Gonzalez: bill@evergladesdiesel.com
Nick Cibants: nick@evergladesdiesel.com
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 14:58   #2

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Re: Injection Pump Service

What kind of engine is it?

I have a relatively low hour (64 hours) Beta 35, which is a 2005 model I believe, and the injection pump went out in December. Turns out some of the springs for the pistons were junk and two broke, and when I throttled down the broken springs somehow caused the fuel control to jam all the way shut. I tried to order the springs but they were not available and neither was a rebuild kit.

I took it to a Kubota diesel place to see if they could do something with it and they came to the same conclusion so I had to get a new pump (around $950).

I asked the mechanic how a 55hour (at the time) diesel could have broken injection pump springs and he said sometimes he sees Kubota engines that just have bad springs from the factory. He said that perhaps the engine got salt water in it but I doubt it since it has a heat exchanger and the boat has never sunk.

Who knows?

It's good they were able to rebuild your pump.

-Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service