Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 14:08   #1

Info on Nanni Diesel

Has anyone had experience with Nannidiesel. Please provide both positive and negative feedback. I'm considering a repower using the Nanni diesel 4.40. I have a Universal m50 now. The prices I've been quoted so far for various brands of diesel show the Nanni being from $2000 to $4000 less than Beta, Westerbeke and Yanmar of comparable horsepower. Part of the price break may be because the dealer says he is trying to get several diesels installed in this area and he is not marking them up from his cost. I thought that might be "hype" but I'm beginning to believe it.
tomsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 15:26   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
When it came time for me to repower I took a carefull look at Beta, Nanni and Yanmar and ended up going with Nanni primarily because I got a good price with the exchange rate at the time but also because of the cost of common replacement parts. Yanmar parts, while available, cost twice that of Kubota. I also like the idea of shopping for parts in a lawnmower shop rather than a chandlery. I have not sea-trialed the engines yet but the marinization parts seem to be of good quality and Kubota has a long track record for dependable diesels.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:08   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Nanni are popular in Australia. The Kubota diesels are tough little units. I had a neighbour once with a Kubota tractor which had an engine of similar size to the ones Nanni use for boats. He put thousands of hours on it with no problems. I think you'll find they are a good thing.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:33   #4

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
while I commend the nanni dealer for what he is trying to do, he needs to make a profit, particularly if he is to stay in business to support the product and your warranty. Further, although based on a Kubota base engine, also look into the support nanni has in your are or where you are planning to cruise, they have the weakest dealer network and support of any of the marine engine manufacturers in the USA. It is the marinisation parts, heat exchanger etc. that will make or break an engine.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 22:03   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Tomsb,

Not the same engine, but we've got a 43 hp Nanni in Insatiable II, and so far it is quite a nice engine. The boat and the engine are 20 y.o. Since we bought the boat we've put a bit over 2000 hours on it, and the original owner
thought he had between 1100 and 1500 hours use. Only engine problems we've had are the usual water pump rebuild at about 3k hours, picking broken impellor blades out of the heat exchanger, and a failed lift pump. Ours came with a ZF10 gearbox, and that failed just after we bought the boat (booo). Checking the ZF manual, it seems that it was pretty marginal, and Nanni did offer it with the larger ZF15 box, so you should check out this angle.
HEre in Oz we've not had any problem with getting the few parts we've reqired, rather less trouble than some of our friends with Yanmars!, and at much better prices!

All in all we would use another one withour worry.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Flint and Steel Bay, NSW, Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
while I commend the nanni dealer for what he is trying to do, he needs to make a profit, particularly if he is to stay in business to support the product and your warranty. Further, although based on a Kubota base engine, also look into the support nanni has in your are or where you are planning to cruise, they have the weakest dealer network and support of any of the marine engine manufacturers in the USA. It is the marinisation parts, heat exchanger etc. that will make or break an engine.
seems like I've heard that before.....

OP, it might be worth your while to NOT be penny wise and pound foolish.
The extra money spent up front can save you hassle down the road.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:10   #7

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
seems like I've heard that before.....
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:17   #8

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Happy with Nanni

Tomsmb,
The engine on my yacht is a "2.50 HE" 14HP Nanni. It is now 15 years old, without any major trouble. I am very pleased with it. The engine is very simple to maintain, parts are easily accessible.
Since Nanni is a French company and there are 2 dealers in town, finding spare parts has been easy until now.

The sailing association where I teach is also very happy with Nanni. Almost all boats have had Nanni engines for 20 years.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 19:52   #9

Rebuild instead of replace

I have talked to a local kubota dealer and I now plan to take my Universal M-50 (which is a Kubota 1902 block) to them to be rebuilt. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll followup when I get it back together.
tomsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 06:31   #10

Hi there,
Anyone have any experience with the 85 hp nanni engine.
Im thinking of buying a boat powered by one soon.
Any comments please.
pluto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 22:44   #11

Boat: Van De Stadt Carribean 40
Re: Info on Nanni Diesel

Gday guys,

I have been searching and seem unable to find an operator manual or a workshop manaul for a Nanni 4.190HE. If anybosy could point me in the direction of one - or if you have a pdf you are willing to send I would be most grateful.

Best Regards
Martin
Old 29-01-2014, 05:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmarts View Post
Gday guys,
I have been searching and seem unable to find an operator manual or a workshop manaul for a Nanni 4.190HE...
Workshop Manual Download (£ 12.00)
http://www.peachment.co.uk/shop/inde...scription=true

Parts Catalogue (Free) ➥ http://www.tapimer.fi/data/attachmen...E_Standard.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:28   #13
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And if you contact NANNI directly?

Nanni Energy in blue
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:09   #14

2 captainmarts:

here's the (back)door to their extranet: extranet Nannidiesel
a lot of documents to download Hush... don't tell anyone
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 01:47   #15

Boat: Van De Stadt Carribean 40

Many thanks for the backdoor!

I have recently been having difficulty starting the engine - and severely noisy and wobbliness on startup.

I have been thinking it might be water somehow getting siphoned into one of the cylinders - and i dont want to risk snapping a con rod.

Has anybody installed an antisiphon on one of these in a similar fashion to the 4.40 recommendation?

Martin