Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 11:02   #16

Re: Impeller help! Seized on shaft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
A rebuild should be only a fraction of the cost of a new pump and well worth it to have a ready spare.

One would think that, and it would be a "logical conclusion."

Except, for the past, oh, ~25 years, that hasn't been my experience.

When I bought our boat in 1998, I found the water pump">raw water pump was leaking. Since this was almost "pre-internet" days, there weren't tutorials and YouTube hadn't been invented yet. The salesperson at my local dealership for pups told me that he cost of rebuilding one would exceed the cost of a new one. Now, whether he was blowing smoke or not, I could see that it was possible, based on labor rates alone. Being not as knowledgeable then as I am now, I bought the new pump.

Eventually, I learned how to rebuild my pump from tutorials and YouTube, and have done so a few times since. Cost was $10-$20 for new seals!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:38   #17

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I might try drilling some holes in the impeller hub, just alongside the shaft, then using a small cold chisel to expand the hub. Or grind it away with a Dremel or die grinder.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:44   #18

Boat: Bathtub

It depends on the shop I suppose. Some places love to gouge if they can get away with it to folks they feel their customer is well-heeled and doesn't know any better.

I've always had good luck with small owner-operated machine shops, pump shops, and motor shops. I get along well with skilled professionals. Perhaps it is a general mutual respect still found in the skilled trades.

Then again I've had any number of issues with marine "professionals" since I've become a boat owner, and universally avoid them now if I can at all help it. I will do it myself, and if I don't know how I will learn how. It is so much less work and heartache in the end, not to mention avoiding the great expense and costly materials ruined.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:51   #19

Assuming that the impeller isn't epoxied on to the shaft, you can heat the impeller until a birthday candle wax liquifies when touched to it and it wicks into the "gap". This has been magic for me on a couple of occasions
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 13:49   #20

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

If you have it off the engine, on a bench, consider cutting it off the shaft (carefully) with some kind of abrasive cut-off wheel, like a dremel, or with a grinding wheel. You may have to first cut the rubber flanges off to expose the internal mounting hardware.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 14:57   #21

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

This may be redundant by now, but on a Yanmar I had there was a set-screw or whatever they are called, that screwed onto the shaft and may be obscured by the rubber covering it over!
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 04:57   #22

Schematics for the Yanmar raw water pump for this engine show a splined shaft and no retaining clip. The impeller hub is usually splined brass and the shaft splined stainless steel. I've seen the brass deform resulting in burrs that seized the hub onto the shaft spline. The engine spec says it's a counter clockwise rotation so I would try adding clockwise pressure while pulling to attempt to realign the spline and get the impeller off.

On another note, a merchant mariner passed on a tip. Older, full sized NOAA charts were made of paper similar to number of raw water pump cover gaskets and worked well when a spare gasket was not available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
OP is asking about removing impellor. That C ring secures the shaft assembly (bearings, water seal, etc) into the housing. Don't need to touch it to replace impellor.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 06:22   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Before I would try any "drastic enginerring," I would apply repeated sprayings of PB blaster or another lubricant. Sometimes it just takes time. However, PB has been known to soften/deteriorate some thin gaskets. It also takes bluing off guns. Might want to switch to WD40. Safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 15-10-2020, 07:04   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

look into removing the pump shaft for rebuild. you might be able to tap or press on the shaft and force the impeller lose that way.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:21   #25

Boat: Downeaster 38, Pearson 30

Make a cut with a hacksaw blade that is broken off held in vicegrip. You can get most of the teeth to bite along the axis of the shaft then a chisel to pop it open. Its a bitch to do but I have done it.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 00:04   #26

Pull the whole thing apart, once you have the shaft out it all will be easier.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote