Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2022, 03:20   #1

Boat: vineyard vixen 28
Immediate help pls

Crossing block Island sound. New boat to me. 29 hp diesel. Not yanmar, blue, can't remember name.

Thin piece of pink plastic tubing at top of vetus valve loop. Continously output water, 1 gal every 5 min.

Have 11 hour trip.

Any help besides me manning a bucket. No spares, etc.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_061657.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	259987Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_061702.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	259988Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_061933.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	259989
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 03:34   #2

Boat: Moody 44í ketch
Immediate help pls

Clamp it off with a jubilee clip, an adjustable spanner or similar. Bend it first and clamp the bend. Then reroute it to a drain ( in the cockpit is good if it reaches) then you will always have a visual that your cooling system is running
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 03:44   #3

Boat: vineyard vixen 28
Re: Immediate help pls

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a Nani engine. I bought this from my brother, he had it for a year, he was told by surveyor it is supposed to always run.

You are saying this too?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 04:23   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. It is a Nani engine. I bought this from my brother, he had it for a year, he was told by surveyor it is supposed to always run.

You are saying this too?

Yes and no.

The small hose is coming from an anti siphon loop. The white fitting at the top either originally contained a one way valve that has been removed or has failed.

The idea is that when the engine is shut off air will be drawn into this fitting breaking a siphon that can form and fill the engine with seawater through the exhaust.

Pinch off the hose while running, then when youíre ready to shut down remove the pincher and shut down the engine. For this trip.

Permanent repair is either as suggested above, or replace the vented loop with a new one that has the check valve intact.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 04:30   #5

Boat: Moody 44í ketch
Immediate help pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

You are saying this too?

Yes i have a yanmar but the anti syphon loop is the same. It makes no difference to the engine whether it is squirting or not.
As wisely said above remove the clamp when shutting down the engine to remove any chance of it syphoning back into your engine. When it is open ended ie now, it will break any syphon ( sifon?)
Malabarista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 04:40   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

They can be cleaned and last for ever
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	345213CD-F6CF-4A60-9F6D-B902B7E0A8F2.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	259992  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 04:43   #7

Boat: warwick 44

I would put a one way valve on it
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 14:44   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On our first Insatiable, Jim ran an anti-syphon hose (6mm or 1/4" tygon) from a high point in the water to the exhaust mixer elbow out through the side of the cockpit and underneath the cockpit grating. Worked fine, and you could hear it suck when the engine was turned off, so you knew for sure, each and every time, that there would be no backfilling. No valves to fill up and stick.

Ann
Old 25-06-2022, 14:58   #9

Wow.... the internet never ceases to amaze me with BAD advice...

That thin piece of tubing is doing EXACTLY as it is designed to do. It is running water out of an anti-syphon loop, and makes sure that air can get back in when you shut the engine down.

DO NOT clamp it off! Your anti syphon loop will stop working and you risk filling your engine with water!

DO NOT put a one way valve in! The whole POINT of this arrangement is to eliminate the one way valve that can clog and otherwise cause mischief.

This is THE BEST way to run an antisyphon loop. It has no tiny little check valve to clog. You can route the overflow water to a place where it is easy to see and be sure that cooling water is flowing, and that your antisyphon is clear.

The industry standard antisyphon loop from Jabsco is a terrible joke. It has this TINY little rubber check valve in it that most owners do not even know is there. It fails in one of two ways: It gets a piece of debris in it, and sticks open and salt water sprays all over your engine room, or it clogs with salt crud and doesn't allow air in to break the syphon and you ruin your engine. AND this tiny little pice of rubber costs $10 to replace, if you ever think of it.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 15:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Wow.... the internet never ceases to amaze me with BAD advice...

That thin piece of tubing is doing EXACTLY as it is designed to do. It is running water out of an anti-syphon loop, and makes sure that air can get back in when you shut the engine down.

DO NOT clamp it off! Your anti syphon loop will stop working and you risk filling your engine with water!

DO NOT put a one way valve in! The whole POINT of this arrangement is to eliminate the one way valve that can clog and otherwise cause mischief.

This is THE BEST way to run an antisyphon loop. It has no tiny little check valve to clog. You can route the overflow water to a place where it is easy to see and be sure that cooling water is flowing, and that your antisyphon is clear.

The industry standard antisyphon loop from Jabsco is a terrible joke. It has this TINY little rubber check valve in it that most owners do not even know is there. It fails in one of two ways: It gets a piece of debris in it, and sticks open and salt water sprays all over your engine room, or it clogs with salt crud and doesn't allow air in to break the syphon and you ruin your engine. AND this tiny little pice of rubber costs $10 to replace, if you ever think of it.

The way the current anti siphon vent is installed is awful. Itís pumping water INTO the boat.

Read and comprehend all of the words in the previous posts before you call them all BAD advice.
Old 25-06-2022, 16:02   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The way the current anti siphon vent is installed is awful. It’s pumping water INTO the boat.

Yep, that's awful... but I bet they sell hose somewhere near the OP's location, and simply extending the current setup to the cockpit and one of its drains cures the "into the boat" problem and retains the fail free anti syphon function that is desirable.

As Ann said upthread, this system worked for us in our previous boat for some 17 years and 6000 engine hours... without a single failure and zero maintenance.

Seems a no brainer to me...

Jim
Old 25-06-2022, 17:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Yep, that's awful... but I bet they sell hose somewhere near the OP's location, and simply extending the current setup to the cockpit and one of its drains cures the "into the boat" problem and retains the fail free anti syphon function that is desirable.

As Ann said upthread, this system worked for us in our previous boat for some 17 years and 6000 engine hours... without a single failure and zero maintenance.

Seems a no brainer to me...

Jim

Agreed on all counts.

Other suggestions were made to allow operation for the time being until such a purchase of hose was possible.
Old 25-06-2022, 17:47   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Agreed on all counts.

Other suggestions were made to allow operation for the time being until such a purchase of hose was possible.
Another vote for this practical approach.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 19:22   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Sounds interesting how you snake the hose up to the cockpit or is this for a particular boat. I never realized it was an issue. Would a gauge be a bit more practical ?
Go you end up with a new hole in engine room.? Sounds like a repair to avoid maintenance or why wouldn’t my boat be built that way.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 20:03   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"why wouldn't my boat be built that way?"

Mate, it is in doubt from your posts that you even have a boat! If you do, why not list on your avatar what your general location is, and what kind of a boat you have? If you ever have a question for the [diverse] group, it will help tune the answer to your location.

Our present boat IS built differently, and has an anti-syphon hose. However, the one we had previously, when it was over-loaded to go cruising, sunk so far down on its lines that we backfilled the head on the engine, thereby necessitating a head job at our next port. So, we solved the problem. And the memory of the water lock is vivid.

For the OP, you may have a longer piece of hose aboard that you can lead to a sink drain, just remember, the loop needs to get well above the water line, to allow the water to drain out an no new water come in.

Ann