Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 21:42   #31

Thanks, every little bit of information like that is building the picture that I need....
Trying to get info here in Vietnam is....
Or possibly to run a pair with counter rotating props, turn the block around and mount the gear box at the front/ back??????
heheehe
THANKS AGAIN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It would be nice to know what kind of torque it has. Usually the longer the stroke in relation to the size of the piston will give you more torque. A motor with large pistons rely on RPM's to create hp, in which you would have to gear it down to the get the torque.

That torque is what will determine the prop. You say there are other boats in the area that have the same motor. If they have the same ratio in the trany then you could run the same prop as they do, assuming the boats are close to the same size and design.

Like I said earlier, if you could contact someone in Japan/Yanmar and get the specs it would help. Or maybe even the guys that are selling you the motor. Maybe they have a source of contact, being able to rebuild it and all.

Personally, I would invest in a heat exchanger system. There are a lot of problems involved with running raw water cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah! The forth picture does show a heat exchanger. And your water pump">raw water pump is in the second picture, the one w/o hoses attached.

It sure has a funny alternator system. It must be a gear reduction of some sort. And it appears to be a double ended motor, maybe so if you want twin screws one will go in reverse. Or it's for a PTO of some sort. Donno!

Good luck on your venture!
Chow!
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:22   #32

I contacted Yanmar in Singapore and filled an enquiry form - they do give tel numbers - worth phoning as they do speak English - here is their website
http://www.yanmar.co.jp/yasc/products/index.html

Also a Rep in Ho Chi Min city :-
-Resident Representative Office in Ho Chi Minh City-
No.875 Tran Hung Dao St, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
TEL: +84 08 9238063 FAX: +84-08-9235602
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:31   #33

Hi Laidback...
Now who do you know ?? I emailed singapore, the USA and Europe, four days ago ! I could not find a phone number. So I did call the east coast distributor in the USA. They knew nothing of this motor...
Thanks for your research...I will let you know if it comes up with any thing!
Thanks again !
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
I contacted Yanmar in Singapore and filled an enquiry form - they do give tel numbers - worth phoning as they do speak English - here is their website
http://www.yanmar.co.jp/yasc/products/index.html

Also a Rep in Ho Chi Min city :-
-Resident Representative Office in Ho Chi Minh City-
No.875 Tran Hung Dao St, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
TEL: +84 08 9238063 FAX: +84-08-9235602
Old 11-11-2010, 23:41   #34

Did you try phoning the Singapore Yanmar's Rep in Ho chi Min, I GUESS he may be a Singaporean or a Veitnamese who speaks ENG.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:44   #35

Hi Laidback...
As usual in Vietnam the contact numbers have changed.....95% of the time here any number posted is not correct, but your number for singapore did work, and despite no email reply, I am in contact with them.
Thanks
Larry
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti325v View Post
Exactly 6 hits, all of no use...More ideas ???
Thanks
LOL - I see what you mean, I saw "Yanmar" and the model number but didn't follow them further yesterday but I now I tried.. and failed...
Old 20-11-2010, 01:48   #37

My Yanmar......

Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions....Yanmar Japan has NO info...still waiting to hear from Singapore !
Thanks...
Larry
Old 03-04-2011, 16:39   #38

Re: Identification of Yanmar, Please

Hi Larry, i think i have the same yanmar engine with a 3.06 reduction gear, i am living in the philippines also on an remote island. I am not an expert on that engine but it looks like that they removed the turbo from the engine like they always do, nobody knows way. In the part catalog is written that the 6DH-HT (turbo version) is rated with 95 HP and the 6DH with 55 HP. What i think to see on your pictures is that they removed the Turbo but didn't reconverted to the 6DH, meaning that there is a much bigger air inlet on the original no turbo version.

I hope i could help you a little bit, i had the same problem like you when i bought the engine 2 years ago, i could not find any information about this engine.

Peer
Peerx00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:13   #39

Hi Peer !
Thanks for chiming in after all this time.
If you need, I have a copy of the owners manual and parts list.
Manual is in Japanese !!! ( Domestic product only) Parts list in English.
I finally DID get the turbo and intercooler. 55 BHP was not gonna push that boat !
The turbo is a garrett, which I just rebuilt. The turbo parts cost about $35.
The manual came from Yanmar in the Netherlands ! They got it from one of the retired engineers who designed it. That took weeks of searching.
Mine still smokes a bit when run at full throttle. Of course in my location there is no body capable of diagnostics.
I am gonna be watching the oil consumption and try to figure out if it is because the mix is too rich, or if the valve stem seals and rings are bad.
(Before rebuilding the turbo the engine consumed quite a lot of motor oil and there was oil in the cold side of the turbo. That has stopped...
The oil pressure is good and the thing starts right up.
Can you tell me how many hours on yours ? Experienced any peculiar problems I should know about ?
Please do let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Best
Larry
Old 03-04-2011, 22:32   #40

Hi Larry, a copy of the owners manual would be amazing!! Great job with the research! The part list i have, was coming with the engine which i bought from a swiss guy running a wooden diveboat going to the tubataha reef.

When his old boat was rotten away he was selling me the engine with the wooden boat to sail the engine to my place. I had to cut the roof to get this monster engine out.

He bought the engine also second hand so i dont know how many hours are on the engine but must be a lot. What i think is no problem for this kind of engine.

That you get a turbo and a intercooler is great, i try also to get this parts in Manila - we will see. My Engine is still not yet in the in the boat i am trying to rebuild. I found the unfinished hull of a 34 Sportfishing boat in the backyard and i bought it. I am running the engine ones a month to keep her lubricated. So my oil consumption is zero.

Because i am using the shaft, the stern tube and the stuffing box from the wooden boat where there was the engine coming with the prop is a little bit big for a sport fishing boat 34.

I saw your boat on the picture - i like this vietnam boats a lot, they are very solid built. In my opinion black smoke in an old diesel engine is normal especially when you force the engine. Do you know how many rpm you doing in full throttle?

The only what happened to me with the engine was a not working rare water pump when i sailed the engine to my place. I still don't know what exactly happened. I was running the engine already for 40 nautical miles. There was no instruments on board. Suddenly the engine was loosing power. When i was looking at the wet exhaust there was no water coming out. When i checked the impeller from the pump it looks like new. I was running the boat home with pumping in seawater from a small gasulin pump which i had on board to pump out the bilge. At home i checked the rare water pump again - i could not find a problem - it's working until now without problem.

The engine itself is also coming up at the first turn with a lot of black smoke but then running very smooth. I will make picture from the engine 2morrow and send to you.

Peer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0380_1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	25809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_11_25 241_2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	25810  

Name:	cf3ibnkt_3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	25811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707_4.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	25812  

Name:	IMG_2044_5.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	25813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057_6.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	25814  

Name:	IMG_2062_7.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	25815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003_8.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	25816  

Name:	Picture 027_9.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	25817  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17   #41

Here the pictures of my engine, after i removed the paint from the plate i saw that somebody tried to make the plate not readable by doing some scratches on the HP entry - for sure to tell a buyer that the engine have more HP than what was written on the plate - but you can still read 50 HP.

Larry, check if in your housing of the thermostat there is really a thermostat, normal in asia its the first what they remove, because its one more part what can break down - but in my opinion its a very important part also in asia otherwise the engine is not warming up quick.

I saw on your pictures that the hose (pipe) from the fresh water cooler is running to a pipe going to the oil cooler - right? At my engine the hose from the fresh water cooler is going directly in the wet exhaust and the pipe to the oil cooler is pluged picture 33 - strange?

What i got is a P.T.O you con see on the picture 32
How you get the waste oil out - pumping? and than?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	105_3517_13.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	25819   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3521_16.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	25820  

Name:	105_3548_37.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	25821   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3524_19.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25822  

Name:	105_3525_20.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	25823   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3528_21.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	25824  

Name:	105_3537_28.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	25825   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3538_29.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	25826  

Name:	105_3541_32.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25827   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3542_33.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	25828  

Name:	105_3553_41.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	25829   Click image for larger version

Name:	105_3535_26.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	25830  

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56   #42

Hi Peer !
Another lunatic in Asia ! I love it !
Love the photos as well,
I do not have time to comment now on your questions, but I should in the next day or so.
Send me an email..
info@dive-condao.com
I will send you the documents I have.
good luck I think your project is terrific !
BTW how much did yours cost ?
My black smoke issue seems to be related to my prop being too big and I will down size it shortly. I only get the smoke above 1200 rpm....
It will spin to rated 1600, but you can feel that it is working hard.
With luck, even if it is well worn in, it has come to a suitable retirement, I run it about 3 hours a day 4-5 times a week.
We take good care of it...my captain is quite proud to be in control of the boat as it is the nicest on the island. My crew takes turns sleeping on it....If a smaller prop fixes the problem I think I have a winner !
BTW there are a few photos of the finished boat on my website.
Home page | Scuba, vietnam, Con Dao, Snorkeling in the "Gallery" under "Boat"
Oh and with the turbo installed it is rated at 95 H.P.
55 without.
We do have slightly different models, I will try to take a camera with me when we go out diving tomorrow and send you some photos of the completed installation.
There are several turbos you can use as I understand it ( the parts book specifies the exact one for your engine, mine is a Garrett, yours in by another manufacturer. and I can put you in touch ( I think) with one of the original engineers.
Send me your email address !
best
Larry
Old 04-04-2011, 07:16   #43

Scuba, vietnam, Con Dao, Snorkeling
My Boat finished !!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31   #44

oh one comment...
Seems the raw water pumps are undersized, we will be running a small electric pump to cool the engine, I had exactly the same problem with the engine overheating. I put in a stainless riser pipe to above the water line and it had two sweeps in it, the original raw water pump was not strong enough to pull the water through those restrictions. For the moment I have a flexible hose from the sea cock to the pump...I do not like this set up but it is normal here. A tourist boat just sank up north for exactly that reason killing 12 people.
We make sure to shut that valve when we are not running for the moment !
VERY lucky you had that little gas powered pump with you !
BTW my impeller was new at the time and the pump is gear driven.
Old 14-09-2011, 07:24   #45

Hi All...
In conclusion of the whole drama...
The boat and engine are running as is my dive business.
I have replaced all the injectors (One was bad)
In the end, I had to reduce the prop size from 1.05 meters to 92 cm. Now she runs right up over max rpms, no black smoke, she makes theoretical hull speed of just under nine knots.
Moves quite a mass of boat at a fair speed, starts right up every time. I have acquired a spare started motor, hoses, sea water impeller... found and maintain all the zincs. Looks like this thing is good to go for the long term....Knock wood !
Thanks everybody for your help !
Larry

Tags
yanmar