Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2008, 03:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
How about one of these "ionic bracelets" ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Ray.bracelet.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	3095  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 04:01   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How about one of these "ionic bracelets" ?
Can't hurt. I'm just not clear which wrist you are supposed to wear it on. Would they work if you were not on the boat but still wearing it?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 04:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I was thinking of clipping it around the fuel line.
Wouldn’t want the fuel bugs to suffer from arthritic pain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 06:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I was thinking of clipping it around the fuel line.
I was hoping it would work if I was on a friends boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 07:48   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Algae-X for Sale--Cheap!

At last year's Miami boat show, my wife bought one of these things FOR $175! as a surprise birthday gift for me. It was definitely a surprise!

It seems that at one point, having gotten bored looking at fittings and hardware etc. she had taken my daughter to do a little window shopping of her own and buy a snack. Somehow, apparently at the cotton candy stand or some-such, she got involved in a conversation with someone selling these devices who convinced her it was the solution to our contaminated fuel problem (which I'd been bitching about on the way to the show as an excuse for buying another Racor and stock of filters.) So, she and my daughter were led back to the vendor's stand where this person showed her an exhibit with absolutely black fluid flowing into one of these devices and honey colored fluid emerging from the other side--which was explained with some elaborate BS about the effect of magnetic action.

As she had just gotten involved with another jerk selling magnets that were supposed to relieve arthritis, back-aches etc. etc. etc. she "bought" this load of malarkey and bought one--for me.

The next day--after we had driven home (200+ miles)--she and my daughter presented it to me at dinner in a nicely wrapped gift package! I, of course, thanked them for their thoughtfulness and left a come-to-Jesus discussion about the miracle of magnets to a later date. To this day the device sits on a corner of a shelf in my garage and I will gladly sell it to whomever might like to have it, very inexpensively!

svHyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 10:51   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

HyLyte, it sounds like that vendor display was outright consumer fraud performed by dumping powdered iron into the oil--presenting a condition that would never happen in reality.

Paul-
"Would they work if you were not on the boat but still wearing it?" Nah, you've got magnets confused with homeopathy. With a homeopathic magnetic ionic bracelet, you can wear it once in the bath, then collect some of the bath water and drink it at any time, in any place, to get the same active effects the bracelet had.[VBG]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 11:01   #22

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Gee you guys all sound like sceptics. Don't you know that if it is written or appears on TV it has to be true.The government only has what's best for you in mind. Smoking is good for you and Always allows you to do things you could never do before. Fraud in advertising you say. What's new? LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 04:52   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Smoking is good for you and . Fraud in advertising you say. What's new? LOL
So the doctors, educators, scientists and sexy chicks reckon

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Levin00.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	3149   Click image for larger version

Name:	cigarette-doc-one-small.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	3150  

Name:	old-fashioned-ad3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	3151  
Old 31-12-2012, 20:00   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43
Re: I tried to do a search on Algae-X but

All the links on the website work well, I have visited them all.

The magnets work, everything I have tried them on shows nothing but improved performance and results. I have them on my own vessels and a diesel work van. Improved fuel economy and less filter changes. We changed one filter for 18 months cruising in Asia, whereas the boats we were traveling with were pumping their tanks, changing filters like their underwear and starting to lose their hair.

To me, personal experience and REAL advice, just not "beating something down" is what is called for in these forums. Just my 2 cents.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:13   #25

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You know what works better than a magnet? A tin foil hat. I wear one all the time and I can swear to you that I have never been abducted by an alien.
You are better l@@king than I imagined. Lol

Take a copper tube, any length and drop a powerful magnet through it.

To suggest magnets do not do things, because you measure no results with your hands or eyes, is voodoo science, just as much as poor magnet design products cast doubt on systems that do work.

I soften the hard water in my home with a magnet design I built myself 20 plus years ago.

Very hard water. Clogged up washing machine inlet valves twice a year. Toilet bowls brown. Inside of dishwasher brown.

Did some reading and built my own system. Ended the brown, ended the valves dying.

I also use ozone generators to scrub the air in our home and business. Another product that is not supposed to do anything. If you have the correct ones, you know they work.

Do these kill growths in diesel fuel? Maybe.

The AMA forced several doctors out of business for cleaning blood through the skin, not because it did not work, but because it would drive doctors out of work.

Scoffers with tin foil hat pics can't put the rust back into my sinks, and the wright brothers were just about laughed out of town, until they started flying over it.

I don't see the active x magnets alone changing bad fuel to good fuel, but I could see the effects of a strong magnetic field having an effect on natural cell growth within the fuel. The constant pumping, blending of the fuel absent any magnetic field would have an effect on cells trying to establish in the fuel, I would think.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

@GaryMayo... you are a bloody legend!!!
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:54   #27

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I soften the hard water in my home with a magnet design I built myself 20 plus years ago.

Very hard water. Clogged up washing machine inlet valves twice a year. Toilet bowls brown. Inside of dishwasher brown.

Did some reading and built my own system. Ended the brown, ended the valves dying.
Have you claimed your Randi Prize yet?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Gary, what will happen to your magnet-based equipment when the earth's field reverses next week --by the Mayan calender, that is.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gary, there might be rust or magnetic minerals in your tap water, which the magnets could act on.

But that's how a carny cons the rubes. Your tap water is nothing like diesel fuel. Diesel fuel won't leave mineral deposits in your sink, the way your tap water does. And since the minerals just aren't in the diesel fuel, magnets can't help with them.

Magnets have been proven to do many things, visible and invisible.

The thing is, any one of the things they do can be demonstrated by repeated and consistent results in any lab all over the world. And all of those labs, dedicated to consistent results and uniform environments, can show you that magnets don't improve diesel or gasoline engine mileage, or power. And they don't pull algae out, unless you've got a rare strain of magnetic algae somehow.

If something that has been proven not to work APPEARS to work for you? You're confusing simultaneity and coincidence with causality.

My car's gas mileage used to go up about 15% every year after Easter. Is that because Christ rose and blessed it? Did that stop because my car doesn't believe in Christ? Ah, no. Despite the co-incidental timing, the real cause of the effect was the annual change from gasahol to gasoline in my area. When the winter fuel went away, the power was restored.

Oooh, look, the sun went away! Let's sacrifice some virgins, that ALWAYS makes the sun come back. Don't bother anyone with astronomy and eclipses, let's just sacrifice some virgins, that PROVES it can bring the sun back.

Doesn't it?

Or maybe, Steadfast's careful documentation of all the variables on his engines just comes down to the placebo effect. If you want something to work, 1/3 of the time you will be sure it is working. Even if there's no change at all.

Algae-X? Would work even better if it shipped with white-robed virgins and altars.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55   #30

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If something that has been proven not to work APPEARS to work for you? You're confusing simultaneity and coincidence with causality.
Ernie: I use this Banana to keep the aligators away
Bert: Alligators? Ernie there are no alligators on sesame street.
Ernie: Right. Doing a good job isn't it Bert

Classic Sesame Street - A Banana in Ernie's Ear (Pt. 1&2) - YouTube
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc