Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 00:32   #1

how to size a prop

I have a warrior 38 sailboat and my Brunton auto prop has failed, due to Brexit there appear to be complications in getting it repaired, I am in Portugal.
So, I need to get a new fixed prop, I don't have a fixed one to get data from, (it fell off!!! a few years ago, still don't know why)
The engine is a Volvo D2 40 with a 130S saildrive, I have used the data from Vicprop, and come up with a size tha falls between Volve sizes. should I go up to the nearest pitch/diameter or diameter/pitch.
noblewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:55   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: how to size a prop

When we repowered the professional we were working with did a bunch of calculations on repitching our prop to match the new engine. When we splashed it wasn't quite right and we had it 're repitched for correct match. My point is it is part science part art and part luck. Sure if it's a boat with lots of sister boats and your engine/transmission is just like theirs you stand an excellent chance of getting it right the first try. Add a few variables and it is less of a certainty
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I would go to the nearest diameter as the pitch is easier to change.
You have to be careful with the room you have though. i.e. make sure you have the minimum tip clearance from the hull.
I dont know the market in Portugal but you can get some cheap used prop bargains if you are looking at a temp replacement for your autoprop.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Gotta get the diameter right, as Compass suggests. If you are between pitches at that diameter, go with the finer - the result if you err will be the engine not being fully loaded as you approach your red line. It will not produce full power and the boat will not go quite as fast. If the prop is too coarse, you will be overloading the engine. Be nice to your engine.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:01   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

FWIW, when choosing between a few props I’d recommend going with the largest diameter that will fit properly (tip clearance, etc.) and then pitch from there. Sailboat props are nearly always smaller in diameter than the ideal in order to make them fit where they need to go. Of course, that’s a generalization and there are always exceptions.... YMMV.

But, if you’ve had two prop failures within a few years I’d recommend looking for root cause first. That failure rate is unusual/high (to me anyway) and I’d want to know why before investing in my third prop.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:41   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblewarrior View Post
I have a warrior 38 sailboat and my Brunton auto prop has failed...
Let me guess- it threw a blade?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size