Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 15:47   #1
Jes

How to remove the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55?

I have tried to remove the heat exchanger on our Volvo D2-55 for a cleaning service.
Since the end cap is closely mounted to the flywheel, there is no space to use tools (and to remove the bolts of the end cap).
So the heat exchanger can only be reached via one side: the front cap, and it cannot be removed.
It seems to be that the complete heat exchanger house needs to be dismounted, but that's a lot of work for a "two-yearly interval" inspection (as suggested by Volvo).
Anyone with a better experience (or suggestion?
(iI assume that D2-40 models have simular problems)
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 15:50   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: How to remove the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55?

not surprising that is the case .. a major operation to do a simple maintenance task. westerbeke is famous for things like that. c'est la vie and good luck.
Old 24-10-2019, 18:32   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
I have tried to remove the heat exchanger on our Volvo D2-55 for a cleaning service.
Since the end cap is closely mounted to the flywheel, there is no space to use tools (and to remove the bolts of the end cap).
So the heat exchanger can only be reached via one side: the front cap, and it cannot be removed.
It seems to be that the complete heat exchanger house needs to be dismounted, but that's a lot of work for a "two-yearly interval" inspection (as suggested by Volvo).
I recently had to replace my D2-55 heat exchanger because of corrosion on the exhaust port. Once I had it off, I tried to remove the port on the inlet side. I found the bolts to be very difficult to remove, one I had to drill out. Based on that experience, I think it might be easier to remove the heat exchanger and clean it off the boat. You will need a new gasket and a torque wrench, but it will be much easier to work on. Be sure to take a good look at the exhaust elbow for build up and also the exhaust port for corrosion. Here is what mine looked like after 2000 hrs. This apparently is a pretty common problem when the elbow gets build-up. I switched to a stainless elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust port.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	202038  
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 13:39   #4
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
The D2-55 service manual has a nine-step procedure. Number ONE is to drain the seawater and coolant. Number TWO is "Disassemble the exhaust manifold together with the heat exchanger."

Good Luck.

Tags
heat exchanger, volvo