Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 17:11   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
How to remove SD20 oil seals

After much struggling, head scratching & staring at parts diagram, I have finally got the shaft etc out of the sail drive & the seal assembly off the shaft. How do I get the two oil seals out and how to get them back in if the new ones prove as difficult as the old. Do you lubricate them & what with?

Also have read a number of opinions of which way to face the seals - same way or opposite directions. Which face which way?

thanks for the help.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:18   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: How to remove SD20 oil seals

One seal faces in to keep the oil in and one faces out to exclude water. The old seals can be driven out with a punch but the new ones should be installed with using a seal driver to avoid distortion. The outer diameter is usually coated with Loktite or similar sealant and the lips can be lubed with suitable marine grease filling the space between the two seals.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 05:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
One seal faces in to keep the oil in and one faces out to exclude water. The old seals can be driven out with a punch but the new ones should be installed with using a seal driver to avoid distortion. The outer diameter is usually coated with Loktite or similar sealant and the lips can be lubed with suitable marine grease filling the space between the two seals.
Thanks for the info, Perchance. I looked at some utube videos and the old seals seem to just fall out. Not so in my case. I did get them out eventually with a punch and the new ones back in using the old seal and a large washer to push them in (don't have a seal driver). Note that on Yanmar GM30 there is a split metal ring as some sort of spacer which seems to hold them in tightly. Need to get the further one out first.
Old 29-01-2013, 01:23   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey

re- fit the new seal by making a wood plug the same size as the seal then just press it in using a vice , thats how I did mine , 2 years ago , all good now .
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:42   #5

Thanks for the help. Everything is back together. It was very hard to get the "carrier" aka all the bits & pieces back in. In the videos it just seemed to slide in but I was forced to use long bolts to get it all the way in without forcing it.

Yesterday i got depressed to see a small amount of oil on the ground under the drive shaft. After a sleepless night I taped some paper towels around the drive and discovered that the new O ring on the drain plug was the source of the leak. Once it was replaced the oil leak stopped. Finally something was going my way.

NOW, on to the engine mounts. Yippee

Tags
oil, seals