Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 15:12   #1

Boat: Don Brooke Yacht 34'
How to Remove Crankshaft Piece on Lister Petter LPW3 Marine Diesel Engine

I've narrowed down an engine starting problem to the crankshaft / starter area. Possible spring replacement needed. I have removed the bolts and cover piece and have found that there is no bolt inside holding two parts together, instead it appears a special tool is required to turn and move a locking mechanism inside?

I've attached images. At the moment, the info I have is that it's an old (early 80s?) LPW3 model Lister Petter (they were used as backup generators in the post offices here in NZ before they stuck the water intake on em and turned them into marine engines).

Just trying to figure out the best way to remove without causing any damage, and what tool would be best to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LPW3 - 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	206631   Click image for larger version

Name:	LPW3- 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	206632  

Name:	LPW3- 3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	206633   Click image for larger version

Name:	LPW3 - 4.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	206634  

pallantejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 21:36   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: How to Remove Crankshaft Piece on Lister Petter LPW3 Marine Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallantejm View Post
I've narrowed down an engine starting problem to the crankshaft / starter area. Possible spring replacement needed. I have removed the bolts and cover piece and have found that there is no bolt inside holding two parts together, instead it appears a special tool is required to turn and move a locking mechanism inside?

I've attached images. At the moment, the info I have is that it's an old (early 80s?) LPW3 model Lister Petter (they were used as backup generators in the post offices here in NZ before they stuck the water intake on em and turned them into marine engines).

Just trying to figure out the best way to remove without causing any damage, and what tool would be best to use.
You had me confused for a bit, but I think we have a nomenclature problem here.

When you say you have "an engine starting problem to the crankshaft / starter area", the initial response is to look at the engine starter, which on your engine, viewed from the front, should be at the lower left rear corner of the engine block, and is an electric motor used to start the engine.

Since you're working on the front of the engine, near the engine start and speed control mechanisms, I assume you're talking about a governor spring residing behind the gear end cover.

To access that, it appears that you need to remove the cover, which entails removing the pulley and the bolts holding the cover on. There is a special tool that enables you to use a ratchet to remove the left hand thread pulley, but, depending on the tightness of the pulley, it might be possible to get some longer bolts, install them and use a bar on the protruding sections of the bolts to spin the pulley off, after securing the crankshaft from turning.

If it turns out that the pulley is very tight (likely), then a tool can be fashioned by welding an old socket onto the center of a short piece of flat bar with two hole drilled in the appropriate place, or two holes can be drilled into a long piece of flat bar and it can be attached directly to the pulley and be itself used to loosen the pulley.

If it's really stuck, heat applied judiciously can work wonders.

That's an interesting little engine, the injection system is kinda halfway between unit injectors and a single injection pump. From a user-servicable standpoint, looks like a good idea, at least in concept.

A good service manual is important.

http://engine.od.ua/ufiles/LISTER-PE...-Series-WM.pdf

Also a good parts manual, though I can't say the factory-supplied one is particularly user-friendly...

https://www.motoreslisterperu.com/do...ster_peter.pdf
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 21:58   #3

Thanks for the reply! And yes, you're correct with the nomenclature (I'm completely new to engines as of a week ago, so forgive me haha!). I was having trouble before with the parts manual (wasn't detailed enough). I'm just trying to take that front cover off and get access but the missing bolt threw me off.

I had a guy previously recommend the steps you've mentioned, and so far that seems like the best route. Thanks for that!

Would you happen to have a name for the special tool to use to use the ratchet?
Old 09-01-2020, 22:31   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

317-50105 pulley tool, shown on page 43 of service manual referenced. In my experience, many manufacturer-supplied shop tools cost about 10 times what they're worth (though sometimes they're worth every penny)

In this case, save your money and support your local economy by going to the nearest welder/hobbiest/mechanic and have him make you one up. If you were here, I'd do it for, depending on your status (and my mood), 20.00, a beer or two, or free...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1tool.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	206646  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 00:12   #5

Being completely new to engines as you say, ..... it's a giant leap to open up the governor without exploring every single other option first. Start with the easy stuff first, .... glow plugs , air in the fuel system , blocked filters, blocked air cleaner/ intake , low compression, tight valves, leaking valves and all that sort of thing. If all that checks out ok THEN dive into the intricacies of the engine speed governor.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 00:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Being completely new to engines as you say, ..... it's a giant leap to open up the governor without exploring every single other option first. Start with the easy stuff first, .... glow plugs , air in the fuel system , blocked filters, blocked air cleaner/ intake , low compression, tight valves, leaking valves and all that sort of thing. If all that checks out ok THEN dive into the intricacies of the engine speed governor.

Thanks for the heads up! I've done all that and I have a trusty old mechanic (teacher) who's been helping me out along the way. Just came to this point and have been trying to figure out the best approach to remove this piece given their would typically be a bolt in place.
Old 10-01-2020, 00:24   #7

Amazing, just what I was looking for. Cheers!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:54   #8

I have an LPWS2 in one of my boats and Sleeman Hawkin in the UK is now the manufacturer of these fine engines and are extremely helpful.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, marine