Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 01:15   #1

Boat: s/v Urraco S&S Swan 37 (copy)
how to clean air intake filter

Hi I have a yanmar 3hm 35f engine and want to know the correct procedure for cleaning the foam air intake filter. The manual says clean every 250 hrs with a neutral detergent. Does that mean wash with detergent and water?
Allan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: how to clean air intake filter

Yes, and does it also say re-oil with engine oil?
My Yanmar does not have the foam element, but oiling the foam to trap dirt is common, I'm going off of other engines experience here, do not know Yanmars recommendation. Many people clean foam elements in gasoline as it cleans the oil out really well and evaporates and mixes well with the oil when you re-oil the filter. If the filter is oiled and you clean it with soap and water, make sure it's very dry before re-oiling. Use a paper towel to absorb all the water it can and let it dry overnight.
I'm not recommending to go against the manufacturers recommendation with the gas comment, just explaining why you may hear to use gas.

BTW, an oiled foam air filter does a very good job of trapping dirt, used to be the standard for engines used in dirty environments like lawnmowers and dirt bikes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, and does it also say re-oil with engine oil?
My Yanmar does not have the foam element, but oiling the foam to trap dirt is common, I'm going off of other engines experience here, do not know Yanmars recommendation. Many people clean foam elements in gasoline as it cleans the oil out really well and evaporates and mixes well with the oil when you re-oil the filter. If the filter is oiled and you clean it with soap and water, make sure it's very dry before re-oiling. Use a paper towel to absorb all the water it can and let it dry overnight.
I'm not recommending to go against the manufacturers recommendation with the gas comment, just explaining why you may hear to use gas.

BTW, an oiled foam air filter does a very good job of trapping dirt, used to be the standard for engines used in dirty environments like lawnmowers and dirt bikes.
+1

Just depends on what ya got handy... I prefer to clean most anything with diesel... Dish soap and a sink/bucket will do a great job with the foam filter too...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 06:01   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Tip for oiling the foam filter... Put it in a plastic bag and then spray or pour in the oil, massage the oil in.

No mess.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-12-2014, 05:31   #5

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

Hi all,

I have Yanmar 3GMF's in our cat and the recommended cleaning agant is white spirit and proper dtying afterwards. The filters for a marine engine should not be oiled, very little dust in the engine compartment compared to cars, and engines on the (dry/and dusty)land.

I believe any agent that cleans dirt and griume would do if the filters are of the foam type, however be careful to not use any strong soluble as this might disolve the foam.

Happy lead free sailing
Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 23:04   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

You don't oil these foam filters , hot soapy water, and towel dry well. That's it.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 02:57   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I would have to agree with the "no oil" group with regard to the Yanmar filter.

I don't have information for the Yanmar 3hm 35f but my Yanmar 2GM20 is a dry foam filter.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:42   #8

Boat: Catalina 350

Just wanted to bump this again as it seemed like the only thread that points towards the question I am seeking to answer.

Foam air filter, dry or wet? and if wet, engine oil? heavier transmission oil? or buy air filter oil?

I am tending to think that the main thing being filtered is the dust from the belt and dry would do the job, comments?
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 14:10   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
Just wanted to bump this again as it seemed like the only thread that points towards the question I am seeking to answer.

Foam air filter, dry or wet? and if wet, engine oil? heavier transmission oil? or buy air filter oil?

I am tending to think that the main thing being filtered is the dust from the belt and dry would do the job, comments?

May depend on the engine type, foam type filters are generally Not oiled.
Clean with hot soapy water, dry throughly.
Check your service manual, you do have one, right?

Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 17:56   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
May depend on the engine type, foam type filters are generally Not oiled.
Clean with hot soapy water, dry throughly.
Check your service manual, you do have one, right?

Yes, depends on the filter.

I got tired of my junk Volvo foam filters dry rotting in a couple of sessons and replaced them with K&N filters (automotive industry). These have a cleaning solution and an oiling solution and an indefinately long life span. I've been running them for years.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote