Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 15:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: How to clean a baffled alum fuel tank?

I posted this in the past. A proper additive and circulation thru a Racor like filter will slowly clean your tank. The additive will dissolve the crud over time and the filter will catch it. If you have engines that pump and return large amounts of fuel, you don't need the circulation pump. With a vacuum gauge at or after the filter, you can see if the filter is becoming clogged.
My current boat has 1942 steel tanks. There were no access ports and the boat sat for 6 years before I bought it. With 3x the additive and 6 year old fuel, I idled the mains until I felt confident the boat would be reliable to the fuel dock. Then I added 3x additive to the new fuel and did a 40 mile sea test. Each fueling I use a 1x additive and in 2 years, when I finally tore out the galley to get to the tanks, cut ports, and entered, the tanks were clean. Only fuel, no water, no crud.
I used Algae-x, and now I use Archoil AR6200 that I think is better.
Today's diesel is crap. It doesn't burn as hot, absorbs water and tends to separate when sitting for long periods. Additives in the fuel added at the refinery only last a short time. You really need to use an additive every fueling for clean tanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR6200-compressed.pdf (1.61 MB, 33 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank