Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 10:57   #61

Boat: Manx Nobby - 38ft LOD
Re: How stop these fittings from leaking

There's a lot of good stuff in this thread so far. I don't want to "teach granny", but I also have a VP 2003 series engine (installed in 1984) and have had a variety of issues with it over the last 10yrs of ownership. However leaks in the water system isn't one of them. AFAIK, the seawater pump show in the OP's photo is not a Volvo part, but is fitted to most engines available here in the UK. As somebody already said, the inlet and outlet pipes to the pump have brackets brazed to them so leaks should be solved by new square section rings and clean pipes.

The rest of the water system on the other hand is very much VP! My engine has a fresh water system with a heat-exchanger and over the years I have had it in bits several times for maintenance. Refitting is a veritable juggling act. It helps very much to have good access to the engine on the starboard side where the heat exchanger goes as this is the last bit to go together and its clamp should not be tightened until you are happy with all the rest and then have pushed it as far forward as it will go to make everything tight.

Sorry to rabbit on, but I enjoy reading these threads as there's always something new to learn and occasionally something to add.
Good luck!

Mike - custodian of a 100yr old plus, wooden gaff cutter.

mikesu2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 20:59   #62

I had a Volvo with the same issues as well as leaking from around the thermostat housing. I tried all the stuff that has been suggested so far with poor results. I finally gooped each joint with some Permatex gasket seal and I had no leakage problems again.
Sand each joint and clean with solvent before gooping.

Best of luck.

mark lennoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 16:06   #63

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Speaking of heat exchangers, my VP2003 had an off-engine exchanger (a Bowman EC10) which was in a pretty sorry state - see pic - and connected via some elaborate pipework that the PO had installed (he was a rocket scientist - I'm not even joking!). I stripped the whole lot out and replaced it with a simple system with radiator hoses and jubilee clips. The new bowman heat exchanger was supplied by ASAP at a very reasonable price.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190426_121243.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	205869

SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass