Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 23:35   #1

Boat: Tayana, 37' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to HonuSkipper
How screwed am I?

Something got lost in translation, and what was supposed to be be an easy bolt extraction on an old prop shaft stuffing box turned into a Mickey Mouse, jury-rigged, half-assed, B*S fix with a Lasdrop DriSeal no drip prop shaft seal.

Every thing that I have read about nodrip glands is not good. I know that this gringo got screwed in Cartagena, that is not news to me. A 60 day refit in the States has turned into a 3 month and counting project in Cartagena.

What I need to know is how these systems fail and what I need to look for to catch a failure before my bilge pumps can not keep up with the deluge of sea water from the shaft through hull.

The no drip system has stainless reinforced neoprene exhaust tubing,
....so my question is, what else will fail? And how?
Does anyone have any experience with this gland system?
When my boat floods from the shaft through-hull, how can I stop the ingress of sea water?
or should I create an electrical fire? (and swim home).

I'm not going to name names, but if one needs to have one's boat hauled for crucial work; try to steer clear of Cartagena. Unless one finds half-assed, Mickey Mouse sh*t acceptable.

Fair winds, HonuSkipper.
HonuSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 01:20   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How screwed am I?

Honu,

If it is totally f****d, then stuff stuff into it!

Sounds like an horrific story. Hope you can arrive at a fix that will take you to your next destination. Personally, I'd try dripping a candle on threads, and stuffing that in, because most 3rd world countries have candles. Get to a first world country to address it. Remember, Cook and others, (insluding jim and I) have sailed leaky boats. It's a bit unnerving, but can and has been done.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 05:07   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. Are you saying that you have a Lasdrop and it is leaking badly? Or are you saying that you wanted someone to remove a bolt on your old stuffing box, but they went and installed a Lasdrop instead?

If the latter, then you may be over-reacting. There are lots of Lasdrop equipped boats that are happily operating with no issues. If this product was a big issue, it would certainly not be sold anymore. I know you said you found nothing good said about them, but I think this is probably over-reacting also, or reinforcement of your fears.

If the former, then I don't know much about what is wrong with it. However, couldn't you just reinstall your old stuffing gland? Or a new one?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 05:46   #4

Yes a overreacting a bit, however it's more frustration than anything. This Tayana 37 has been sitting on the hard in Cartagena for six years. The bonding system on the boat was sub par and the starboard bolt on the 33 year old stuffing box sheared off when I was attempting to repack the gland. After I cut through the bolts to separate the two parts I asked a mechanic at the boat yard if he could use a bolt extractor to pull the old bolts so I could continue with the original system. He said he could, instead he cut off the flanges that the bolts threaded through.
I clearly ordered a lock nut 'type' packing gland from the boat yard almacen using the internet, google translate, and Casey's Maintenance Manuel. Four weeks later I got a Lasdrop drip-less system. I had it installed, just so I can get the boat in the water, repair the sails and get to Florida.
Yes labor is cheap here in Cartagena, but it will cost even more when I have to have there work corrected in the States.
Despite all of this, I should have the boat in the water this Thursday, thank you for the reply on the Lasdrop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartagena 419.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	97165   Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	97166  

Old 15-02-2015, 05:52   #5

My phone was stolen yesterday, (3 months here living on minimum Spanish and that's the only problem I've had here... not bad), so I don't have pics of the installed Lasdrip drip-less system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	97167   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	97168  

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	97169  
Old 15-02-2015, 06:42   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I don't have a las drop, rather the PYI dripless. 5 years and no problems. I prefer it over the stuffing box, I don't need to empty the cockpit lockers and break my rib to adjust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:27   #7

From my work experiences overseas there is no such thing as cheap labor.
woodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:38   #8

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy View Post
From my work experiences overseas there is no such thing as cheap labor.
Amen!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 08:48   #9

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

PSS dripless great 3 years no problems no drips.
but I dont se how you can make it fit on your hardware
usually they connect to the shaft tube.or log.
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:02   #10

Try Deep Blue yacht supply online they have all the parts u need at good price.
Old 15-02-2015, 09:06   #11

Boat: Tollycraft Pilothouse 61’

Not sure if I fully understand set up, but on my dripless shaft seal my surveyor recommended putting a hose clamp on the shaft against the collar that holds the rubber tube closest to the transmission. Apparently as the shaft is stainless steel, hard and slippery, the collar can migrate up towards the transmission creating a seal failure. The hose clamp prevents collar from riding up.
Crabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabber50 View Post
Not sure if I fully understand set up, but on my dripless shaft seal my surveyor recommended putting a hose clamp on the shaft against the collar that holds the rubber tube closest to the transmission. Apparently as the shaft is stainless steel, hard and slippery, the collar can migrate up towards the transmission creating a seal failure. The hose clamp prevents collar from riding up.
Good too know thank you.
Old 15-02-2015, 09:49   #13

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have used (2) PSS dripless on my commercial gill netter, and experienced no problems for years and they had to run down in the bottom of my fish hold will all kinds of nastiness around them. If installed correctly, I believe it will give you good, service for years to come. Being very careful about the installation is the key, using dish soap for lubricant during the install, and being careful not to cut the "O" rings, get the measurement right for the compression of the bellows.
Old 15-02-2015, 10:01   #14
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

it will not sink your boat if you keep an eye on it I pulled mine out in the water to install sealer and longer bolts.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabber50 View Post
I installed a new shaft zinc to be sure it could not move.cheap too.

Tags
crew