Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 09:05   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: How much Marine antifreeze to winterizing engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
So how do you prevent it from splashing/puddling on the ground when you fill your boat's raw water system? (They don't sell buckets where you live? This material can be recycled.)You don't run the antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust? How do you use EG responsibly??? (Easily)

My neighbors dog died from drinking EG that was left on the driveway after he changed his car's antifreeze and did a messy job. (The problem was the messy job.)That stuff is poison! But I have had several pinkish glasses of water in the spring b/c I didn't flush the system well (very careless on your part) and I've had no issues. Yeah, not scientific, but I call BS on your claim that EG is not toxic. If it kills dogs, it can kill aquatic life too. (Chocolate can kill dogs but it's good for humans, and we're both mammals. Biology is not as simple as your analysis. You are guilty of lazy thread reading. Read the SDSs. I did not make this up and you will not find quantitative information saying the EG is more toxic to marine life than PG. They are the same. Sorry to burst your enthusiasm, but I have researched this topic in my day job for 30 years, including lab testing.)

See above.

BTW, I designed and built one of the largest glycol recycling plants in the US 25 years ago. I just installed another upgrade 2 years ago. It runs both EG and PG.

No one here is suggesting that EG should be used on potable water systems. In fact, the best reason not to use EG on a boat is because careless individuals will screw up.

And don't call ******** when you have not even read the thread. It's rude and embarrassing.
Old 06-11-2021, 17:23   #47

How much Marine antifreeze to winterizing engine?

This is how I do this. Bucket at exhaust , hose to raw water intake. Almost all the antifreeze can be recycled year after year and I can run the engine for like 30 minutes to give it a good rinse.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 17:30   #48
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I believe 50-50 antifreeze mix is good to -35 degrees.
Old 06-11-2021, 18:25   #49

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Wow, I am amazed at how many people use Ethylene Glycol! Really, WHAT? you do know it is Illegal in many (most?) states to dump EG overboard and it is really bad for the environment. so if you winterize your engine with it.. How do you catch it when you start the engine in the spring? Pay the extra $1 per gallon for the pink stuff!!
Name one state (including reference) where that is true?
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:57   #50

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

I encourage you to check your wet muffler, to see if it has a drain, AFTER you flush through the anti-freeze. I had one blow, as it holds quite a bit of water at the base. The A/F wasn't enough to dilute the water that sits at the base of the muffler, so it froze.

Now I flush it through like you've mentioned, until steady "pink" comes out the back exhaust. Then drain the muffler and heat exchanger completely. It only takes 60 secs, and I have extra peace of mind.
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:05   #51

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
I encourage you to check your wet muffler, to see if it has a drain, AFTER you flush through the anti-freeze. I had one blow, as it holds quite a bit of water at the base. The A/F wasn't enough to dilute the water that sits at the base of the muffler, so it froze.

Now I flush it through like you've mentioned, until steady "pink" comes out the back exhaust. Then drain the muffler and heat exchanger completely. It only takes 60 secs, and I have extra peace of mind.
You're better to do it in reverse. Drain the waterlock and heat exchanger...then flush through with antifreeze. That way you are more likely to have an undiluted solution.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:13   #52

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

In reverse. That makes much more sense.....thanks!
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, engine, marine