Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 07:42   #16

Boat: Boatless Again
Re: How much coolant loss is normal/acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
T

It had not occurred to me the issue could be the water heater. For those that mentioned that, could the water heater leak internally, ie coolant into the hot water side? Otherwise I'd assume that leaks would be obvious from external inspection of the heater and hoses?
It is possible for the hot water system to leak internally, but if you keep the freshwater pump turned on and the system pressurized to 35 psi, the leaks would be going the other way.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:25   #17

In my case, the coolant loss from the hoses connected to the water heater. There was evidence of evaporated antifreeze that had left behind crystals. I replaced the water heater and their hoses of 22 feet. Then it is necessary to burb the chamber. To monitor the level in the overflowing, I marked lines every 1/4 Inches on a blue tape and labled each line with a number. Then I noted the level when cold and hot. I found leaks from hoses soon after. After tightening the clamps I have no more loss, but the level increases the same amount when hot.
Old 09-07-2021, 14:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Does your installation have a “puke” tank mounted? If you fill the heat exchanger and run the engine to fully heat it up and heat sink the whole thing the coolant will expand and drain out the little vent under the spring seal on the pressure cap. You loose that amount without a recovery bottle ( another name for it).
With the system full and the puke tank about 1/4 full the fluid will go back and forth as needed and the hx will stay full to the top. These are available as aftermarket from auto supply if your engine manufacturer doesn’t make one.
Mount somewhere in front or off to the side of the hx and run the included tube into the bottom of the tank and it is good to go.
Maybe once a year it might get a little water or coolant added to the puke tank.
Think the term expansion tank rings a little better !
Old 09-07-2021, 15:52   #19

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It is possible for the hot water system to leak internally, but if you keep the freshwater pump turned on and the system pressurized to 35 psi, the leaks would be going the other way.
Either the pump is on or we're on dock water, either way system is pressurized so I guess that rules out internal leaks. I'll check the hoses/couplings this weekend.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:19   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
To clarify, as apparently my original post wasn't clear, the level in the expansion tank/reservoir/puke tank is what I'm seeing change.

Coolant level in the heat ex itself is always right at the top.

I'm always checking this cold. ie check in the am before start, run for a day, check then next day before start.

There are no leaks I can see, into the bilge or elsewhere on the motor.

I recently, ie couple months ago, changed the coolant pump, a few hoses, and descaled the heat ex. idk if it was happening beforehand as the boat is new to me.

It had not occurred to me the issue could be the water heater. For those that mentioned that, could the water heater leak internally, ie coolant into the hot water side? Otherwise I'd assume that leaks would be obvious from external inspection of the heater and hoses?
Is it possible you have a pin hole in your heat exchanger and it is being pumped overboard? The only heat exchanger I've seen fail, (massive), was the other way, spewed out raw water, but that might vary dependent on engine type and extent of failure? The descaling would make me wonder.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:32   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Is it possible you have a pin hole in your heat exchanger and it is being pumped overboard? The only heat exchanger I've seen fail, (massive), was the other way, spewed out raw water, but that might vary dependent on engine type and extent of failure? The descaling would make me wonder.
I had a pinhole leak in my generator heatex. It's a very destructive problem.

I agree with RWidman that the only acceptable rate of coolant loss is zero. OP should track down the leak without delay.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:55   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Is there really a loss ?
1/4" down when cold and 1/4" up when hot = no loss.
Old 10-07-2021, 13:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Is there really a loss ?
1/4" down when cold and 1/4" up when hot = no loss.
I guess the question is, is he topping it off every time or not or is it going down that 1/4" continually not just up and down? If up and down it is an imaginary problem.
Old 10-07-2021, 17:32   #24

Boat: Farr 1020

I had a leak in the calorifier just after I fitted a new engine. Old one was direct salt water cooled and it appeared the coil in calorifier had succumbed to corrosion as I started to pump coolant into the bilge. No expansion tank on the engine, although I have fitted a bottle now. Issue was solved with a new calorifier and I achieved the aim stated by several above, that there should be zero coolant leakage.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 18:07   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
I had a leak in the calorifier just after I fitted a new engine. Old one was direct salt water cooled and it appeared the coil in calorifier had succumbed to corrosion as I started to pump coolant into the bilge. No expansion tank on the engine, although I have fitted a bottle now. Issue was solved with a new calorifier and I achieved the aim stated by several above, that there should be zero coolant leakage.
Any leak in the water heater will instantly show up at the hot water tap in the galley.
Old 10-07-2021, 18:21   #26

Boat: 2011 FP Orana 44 M

I haven't been doing this as long as the others, but I'm 3+ years in with no coolant loss on two engines.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 13:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Any leak in the water heater will instantly show up at the hot water tap in the galley.
Scary coolant in potable water.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:55   #28

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Scary coolant in potable water.
Well that's not happening. I know the taste of that coolant , its not in the water.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:14   #29

Quote:
Well that's not happening. I know the taste of that coolant , its not in the water.
I hope it doesn't happen. I wonder how many PPM is detectable by taste or lethal over a prolonged period?

I wonder if there is something a kin to a litmus test that would be more definitive than taste?
Old 12-07-2021, 08:34   #30

Boat: Adams 45

I don't drink hot water or use it in cooking, in which case you wouldn't detect it by taste. I only use it for washing dishes, face, and shower. I've cleaned out a residential hot water heater, admittedly an old one, and decided that water wasn't trusted.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant