Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 10:11   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
How clean is enough for fuel tank?

Hi everyone- my aluminum fuel tank is original to boat and has fore-aft baffle in middle of tank with no access. I was able to clean 1/2 from pickup port but finally cut an inspection hole so I could clean the other half. Emptied fuel out first.
What I found was a thin film of black goo on bottom and 1/2 up sides of tank. Used diesel-soaked rags to scrub and it now looks pretty clean except for some black stained areas and some along seam. See pictures. Should I try to get it all shiny? Some solvent I should use? A brush? I also don't want to scratch surface. The one area has some putting which is very superficial but has me puzzles since nowhere near low point of tank so hence would never see water, and is under aft berth wel above any bilge water or moisture on underside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456078196.995687.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	119347Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456078217.762844.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	119348Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456078244.730590.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	119349

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:37   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: How clean is enough for fuel tank?

Malbert,

You have done a great job. I would feel pretty good having achieved that level of clean.

I wonder if some of the non-volatile brake cleaner would finish the job for you? If that doesn't touch it, I would consider it good to go myself... [Our tanks were last mucked out in 2009... I appreciate the level of effort...]

The only advantage to getting it fully cleaned is so you can inspect the welds in that corner...

If you had to leave tomorrow, I would consider that a job well done and fill the tank...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 21-02-2016, 19:34   #3

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: How clean is enough for fuel tank?

Thanks so much. An answer I was hoping for. May try brake cleaner. Otherwise may fill and go, and watch filters, and open and inspect every 2 years or so. Easy to access fortunately. No signs of leaking, and it would be very easy to physically replace the tank due to it's location in boat if we ever get there.

And apologies to all who read my terrible iphone typed message. Putting=pitting. And others.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank