Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 06:05   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hour Meter install problems

I have installed a mechanical Hobbs hour meter to my Yanmar 4JH4E. I have connected to a ground and then ran the positive to the oil pressure switch(is that the right term). I checked the switch and with the key on but not the engine it had no voltage. When the engine ran for a short time there was 12 plus volts. I assume this is a normally closed switch. There is only one wire to the switch.

I connected the hour meter switch to the threaded lug on the end of the switch. When I started the engine there was a low volume alarm sound coming from the ignition panel and a louder sound that I could here every few seconds on a timed basis. When I disconnect the positive lead from the hour meter the noises go away. I never got the meter to register any time but not sure the engine ran long enough to clock time.

Did I wire it incorrectly? Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:57   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Hour Meter install problems

I am not sure of the wiring for your oil pressure switch, but, it sounds like your hour meter is not wired correctly. I would suggest getting a wiring diagram and connecting the 12 v positive wire from the meter to the switched 12 v plus for the electric lift pump if you have on.

I know of at least two types of oil pressure switches, the type used for sensing pressure changes resistance as the pressure changes. The other is a switch that is normally closed ( allowing current flow ) when there is no pressure. This switches on the alarm buzzer until the oil pressure builds and the switch then opens and shuts off the alarm.

It sounds like you have your meter wired to the alarm circuit.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:09   #3

Take a look here

4jh4e wiring diagram

It looks like the red/black wire coming off the key switch would be the place to attach your b+ for the meter. This wire is switched on with the key and provides power fo a number of different indicator lights.

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 05-06-2016, 07:13   #4

[PDF]series - Yanmar
Yanmar-meridieselmoottorit ja -perävetolaitteet sekä Yanmar Industrial -teollisuusmoottorit › download › file

Maybe this link will work
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15   #5

I give up! Just google it
Old 05-06-2016, 07:22   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Charlie, Every boat I've had the hour meter is wired to the ignition switch, switch on, meter on. The only time you turn the key on is when you run the engine anyway so it's accurate for runtime.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:33   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

ditto Calif.Ted. Wired the hour meter to the ignition. Because of the warning horn the key is never left on when the engine is not running. The hour meter doesn't need to be accurate to the second on engine time.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:56   #8

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I wired my hour meter (to replace the Yanmar unreadable digital hour meter) to one of the unused alarm wires in the harness). In my case it was the "water in saildrive" alarm. Works as intended, I now know what hours I run my engine.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 16:46   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thanks for the replies. I hooked it to the pressure sensor because it had easy access. Now need to move it to the ignition pannel.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

I think I understand a little better now, if you want the hour meter remote from the panel, like in the engine compartment, you just need a "switched" positive. Sailormed mentioned using the saildrive alarm in the harness. On top of the engine is the main wiring harness wrapped in that corrugated plastic wiring loom and wrapped with electrical tape. In the harness is a large inline main fuse of 20-30 amps supplies power to the panel etc. there should also be the same unused sail drive alarm Sailormed used.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 13:13   #11

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

If your oil "Switch" has only one connection it is likely a sender (for a gauge) not a switch. Use the ign. switch.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 15:15   #12

I would be hesitant to use a power source that is designated as an alarm. The hour meter will consume some small amount of power for its clock motor, as to if that could cause an alarm to be sensed, I don't know. Why not just use the switched power source at the back of your ignition switch as would normally be done? It is red and black, use an inline fuse as is proper maybe 3 amps.