Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 06:31   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Hose Size

I need to add vented loops to the cooling water intakes on my yanmar 3GM30 . I am in Canada and the boat is in Grenada . Does anyone know the id. of the intake hose . The water pump is the stock one.
Thanks
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:37   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Hose Size

According to the manual (which I have here) the ID is 13mm, but I haven't field verified on the engine.

[Edit] And then I look at my service manual (as opposed to operation/installation) and the piping diagram shows 20 on the 3GM30 and 24 on the 3GM30F. Won't be near the boat today, so hopefully someone else here can verify [/edit]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:44   #3

When you install a vented loop in the engine seawater circuit, you have to install the vented loop on the pressure side of the seawater system, downstream of the sea water pump. If you install the loop on the suction side of the system, before the pump, you will suck air into the system when running the engine, possibly causing overheat problems or damaging the pump impeller.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:50   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

^^^^^

There I was, just thinking of the question as asked, and not the implications.

Not even much point to a loop on the pressure side, if the pump impeller is sound then a break in the discharge line won't result in flow anyway (because the rubber impeller has to be spinning in order for there to be flow through the pump). So would take a failure of the impeller (blade loss) and failure of the hose before your vented loop saves things. Depends on how much belt-and-suspenders you like.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:11   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I need to add vented loops to the cooling water intakes on my yanmar 3GM30 . I am in Canada and the boat is in Grenada . Does anyone know the id. of the intake hose . The water pump is the stock one.

Thanks

David

You need to add a vented loop between the heat exchanger and the mixing elbow. Putting one one the suction side will cause you a lot of grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size