Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 19:04   #46
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Honda 2.3 hp outboard

Why would I have a dispute with Honda? I make money from fixing their poor quality outboards and clients who don't liusten to my advice
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 19:49   #47

Boat: Roughwater 33 "Dawn"

Concerning running the 2HP out of the water: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...s/31ZW6602.pdf pages #19 and #42 says no. I used to run it dry until the prop shaft seal started leaking. I don't think running it high enough rpms to turn the prop while out of the water is a good idea. Ive had it ten years and other than fuel problems and noise it has been good to me.
SV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 20:05   #48

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I have a 2.3, 2 years old. The manual clearly says don't run it out of the water. It's easy enough to run it in a bucket anyway.

From page 54 of the manual:

"Starting the engine on land:

Place a container under the outboard motor, and fill it with clean, fresh water. The water level must be at least 6 inches (15 cm) above the antiventilation plate.

Running the engine without water can cause overheating and damage.

Damage caused by running the outboard motor without water is not covered by the Distributor’s Limited Warranty."

There's also a sticker on the engine that says keep the water level above the antiventilation plate...for those who don't RTFM
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 20:31   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Place a container under the outboard motor, and fill it with clean, fresh water. The water level must be at least 6 inches (15 cm) above the antiventilation plate.
To ensure the intermediate bearing is submerged.
Old 23-12-2014, 20:39   #50

Boat: CL52

My 2.3 is a couple years old. I dont find it particularly loud, especially when compared to the old two strokes. I also have a mercury 3.5. The honda is no louder than the water cooled merc.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 21:35   #51

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Did anyone look at the intermediate shaft bearing afterwards?
Where's the intermediate shaft bearing?
Here's a parts diagram of any of the parts that would be in the water:
2007 and Later BF2.3DK2 LCHA Honda Outboard GEAR CASE PROPELLER Diagram and Parts

I have the older 2 hp Honda, The engine is an air cooled engine, but there is a water pump and it only pumps water to the exhaust.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 22:36   #52
cruiser

Item 4 in this link to extension case.
2007 and Later BF2.3DK2 LCHA Honda Outboard EXTENSION CASE Diagram and Parts
Old 24-12-2014, 04:54   #53
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
You are absolutely correct and I apologize. I understand the need to cool the exhaust as it exits below the water but can it actually heat up enough running at idle for 20-30 seconds at idle?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 11:19   #54

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatugonnado View Post
Hi, does anyone know howw loud the air cooled honda 2.3 hp outboard is?
"How loud" is subjective unless someone measures the sound at a fixed RPM and distance and compares it to other outboards in its class. So far, it seems nobody has done that and posted the results.

I have one and I don't think it's all that loud. If you want quiet, go electric.
Old 24-12-2014, 12:09   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You are absolutely correct and I apologize. I understand the need to cool the exhaust as it exits below the water but can it actually heat up enough running at idle for 20-30 seconds at idle?
It certainly can and will happen very quickly indeed if the operator blips the throttle or the clutch is creeping as the hot exhaust gas passing over the unlubricated bushing is not a good mix.
Old 24-12-2014, 13:21   #56
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
It certainly can and will happen very quickly indeed if the operator blips the throttle or the clutch is creeping as the hot exhaust gas passing over the unlubricated bushing is not a good mix.
I had a bad breakfast this morning. Eating crow and bagels is very unappetizing!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:36   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I had a bad breakfast this morning. Eating crow and bagels is very unappetizing!
Hey, where I am, west of the dateline, we're always ahead of the game. Heck, it's even Christmas morning here. Merry Christmas, I'm looking forward to smoked salmon salad and lying under a banyan tree.
Old 03-07-2015, 15:12   #58

pirate Re: Honda 2.3 hp outboard

hi all I have had two 2.3 Hondas they go and go, just refuse to break. I live in the tropics they suit this area just fine. about 700 hrs on fist engine before it was stolen, around 1500 hrs on other engine. this is due to 2 or 3 uses, 5 or 6 days a week. crabbing ,trolling river and coast and spearfishing the great barrier reef of qeensland, Aus. I go 1 or 2 miles away from mother ship at the reef with great confidence in the Honda. I will post some fixes to your problems that you may find of use. but may it be long periods of unuse is a problem in it self.
trouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 15:46   #59

first problem I see talked about here is kick back when pulling start cord, this is caused by dirty carby. all forstroke tiny engines have tiny tiny mixture jets. and all fuel that comes from a servo is dirty to some extent. clean your carby then only use 95 or98 ron petrol you can get 20 liter drums of 98 petrol at most fuel depots it comes strait from refinery not out of a servo so is pure, not full of rust, water, dirt. also clean out petrol tank to get water out of it, their is a little screen in outlet fuel line at bottom of tank you will only see it after you remove fuel line from tank. this sluges up from poor fuel/water. the Honda is not as easy as a water cooled engine to get to the carby but it isn't hard either.just put it on a good stand place parts from each section of the job into zip lock bags so you know what bolt went were its no big problem and you will have a engine that starts with out moving the throttle from idle first time, every time. use choke in cold weather. but the little Honda will be flooded if you use to much choke. if it does open throttle full bore no choke and pull and pull they go about 10 pulls later.
Old 03-07-2015, 16:11   #60

second problem its loud. I don't find them so I only use about a third throttle to drive my poly craft tuff tender to its engine /boat happy speed, we all know what speed suits our boat engine combo. I do go faster to combat current sometimes . but really on the fat stubby tuff tender its never going to plane with 2.2 hp or 5 hp for that matter. so from third throttle to full bore is about 1 or 2 knots more for great deal more fuel use. I don't bother other then a full bore sprint to keep engine in good condition once in a blue moon. but plastic boats are quirte in the first place could your noise be ally boat vibes from the single cyl engine. maybe mount engine on Teflon or something to cut down noise/vibs. any way less revs find eng/boat happy speed . hope some of this is of some use.

Tags
honda, outboard