Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 15:25   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
Hole in Gear Case of My Yanmar

I have replaced the front main oil seal on my Yanmar 3JH 2CE engine twice because there was oil slinging all over the engine compartment in line with crankshaft pulley.
I finally got someone small enough to crawl over the engine to get a good look at where the leak was, and discovered a small hole just to the left of the crank pulley in the gear case. Maybe slightly smaller than a pencil eraser head. I took a look at the other engine and no such hole. Anybody ever hear of this problem before or have experience with it? Since I only have a hole in the one engine, I am assuming that it is not some kind of breather hole....
Thanks
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 22:29   #2

Boat: Privilege P43
Yanmar oil pans

Within two years/150 hrs of purchase, both pans on my new 4JH3E (replacements) started weeping oil from pinholes thruout underside. Pulled pans from both engines and replaced them with custom made pans constructed of 0.25 inch aluminum plate; each holds additional 1,5 L of oil and cost was less than half Yanmar price for new pans. That was 8 yrs ago and no problems with oil pans since.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar