Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 06:43   #1

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Help needed taking off heat exchanger covers

Newbie here. I am having difficulty removing 3 of the 4 hex machine bolts securing the end caps on my Yanmar 3JH5E heat exchanger.

They are tight enough to twist the hex key when I pull. I have not used the lever of the bigger wrench

My concern, of course, is shearing them off. Should I be?

Any ideas or suggestions? I am not keen to take a torch to the nice finish.

Thanks
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 07:47   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Help needed taking off heat exchanger covers

Torch is the best, but if you insist on not using one then attempt to break them loose with PB Blaster,let dry for 15 minutes, then tap the bolt head continuously for 5 minutes with a ballpeen hammer. Repeat this cycle at least 5 times. Then use wrench and attempt to tighten bolt, then attempt to loosen, but not enough pressure to strip it. If she doesnt move, keep tapping. Got four head bolts off 40 year old Cat diesel using this method, just took all day sunrise to sunset !!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:23   #3

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: Help needed taking off heat exchanger covers

[QUOTE=flyingfin;3254818]Torch is the best, but if you insist on not using one then attempt to break them loose with PB Blaster,let dry for 15 minutes, then tap the bolt head continuously for 5 minutes with a ballpeen hammer. Repeat this cycle at least 5 times. Then use wrench and attempt to tighten bolt, then attempt to loosen, but not enough pressure to strip it. If she doesnt move, keep tapping. Got four head bolts off 40 year old Cat diesel using this method, just took all day sunrise to sunset !![/QUOTE

Thanks, flyingfin. I managed to wrestle them free. I think I didn’t apply grease last time.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger