Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 09:10   #1

Boat: Dufour 325
Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

Hello,
I seem to have a big problem with my Volvo D1-20B (digital panel). Starter won’t crank. So far, engine has been starting ok but some months ago I started getting the warning beep and icon in the panel screen right after starting the engine. Probably this was a warning that something (starter, solenoid, …) was in fault, but the engine was starting as good as always (other than the warnings described of course).
Now, whatever that the problem was, probably ended up breaking for good, and now the starter won’t even crank.
Today I got a new battery to be sure that is was not related to it, but it didn’t fix it. Next weekend I will be checking the voltage in the solenoid as described in https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ine-wont-start

Any other ideas on what to test? but maybe someone has had a similar issue and can give me any better idea on what to do.

Ignacio
icordoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 15:47   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

Not sure if the D1 has a relay powering the solenoid but it would pay to check.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 16:12   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

That article covers all the basics. Two other common issues that can present the same way are hydrolocking the engine, if water gets inside the cylinders for some reason it won't crank ( it will turn a little first then lock up) . Over time it drains down into the sump, so oil level rises and the engine will turn over a bit first.

The most common one on yachts is a faulty key switch due to water ingress because its mounted in the cockpit. You can often work out how to bypass the key and hotwire the engine in this case. Probably better to locate the start relay and bypass it directly.

A lot can be learned from the sound near the starter motor and solenoid when the key is turned. If its clicking slightly chances are its getting power. If there is nothing at all it points to no power or a completely stuck solenoid.
Old 22-04-2018, 01:57   #4

Hi and thanks for both comments,
D1 has a relay but it is non serviceable (it's inside the digital "black box"). I hope that is not the cause as it would mean changing the expensive box. About hydrolocking, it's not the case. The starter won't even move a millimeter. It is some electric fault... which given the warning I had been getting after starting the motor previous months (even it was working ok), looks like the solenoid, but can be a cabling problem, the mentioned relay or the starter motor itself. I hope to have time to review next week. I'll post here the result. Thanks again.
Old 22-04-2018, 04:56   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... an intermittent electrical problem, slowly getting worse and then fails completely - I would be looking for corrosion or loose terminals initially.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 05:44   #6

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

I went through this exercise recently with Yanmars. On the port engine it turned out to be corrosion on the grounds that connect to to the engine block. Cleaned the corrosion and the problem went away.

Had similar symptoms on the stbd side except it acted more like a weak battery until the motor would not turn over at all. This time it turned out to be the starter which took all of 10 minutes to replace once the diagnosis pointed that direction.
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Somewhere between the digital panel and the engine is a multi-pin plug. I would start there as I have seen this problem before. Sad part is the plug is of no benefit to you, just the engine installer.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 09:25   #8

THe electronic box is your problem
Volvo have superseded the part number 5 times
Costs about CND$1000.
May be covered under warranty
Good luck- Let me know how you make out
Ray-Contest42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 09:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Contest42 View Post
THe electronic box is your problem
Volvo have superseded the part number 5 times
Costs about CND$1000.
May be covered under warranty
Good luck- Let me know how you make out
You have to question the sense of putting a black box of electronics on a little diesel engine that could be used away from normal support.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 10:02   #10

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Try turning the engine over by hand, if no rotation, the warning could have been "low oil pressure". If so, you could have seized the bearings, in which case you are talking total engine rebuild. If the engine does turn over by hand, then look for electrical issues
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 10:08   #11

You have to wonder. Its not like it is an electronically controlled engine that would require this level of technology.
As a Volvo dealer,I have swopped out four of these units in the past year. All of which have failed within a year. I would be surprised it is not the problem
If Pete7 wants to replace the system with a simple push button, relay and key switch, he would save himself a lot of money and have reliability
Old 22-04-2018, 10:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-Contest42 View Post
You have to wonder. Its not like it is an electronically controlled engine that would require this level of technology.
As a Volvo dealer,I have swopped out four of these units in the past year. All of which have failed within a year. I would be surprised it is not the problem
If Pete7 wants to replace the system with a simple push button, relay and key switch, he would save himself a lot of money and have reliability
Ray, not my engine, I have a VP 2003 which is easy to start, with a can of ether
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 11:12   #13

Sorry Pete.
Ether will do it. Do not be heavy handed. Seen a guy blow his oil pan off
Volvo 2003 engines have a weird cold start setup with the stop cable which I am sure you know.
The 2003 Solas engines ( in lifeboats) had a heat box on the intake which made a big difference. Maybe you can fashion something
Old 22-04-2018, 13:37   #14

(Quick note I should have pointed in my first entry... it is a 2007 D1-20B)
Old 23-04-2018, 06:26   #15

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

I have same engine in the booat I bought 3 years ago. The EVC unit not functioning I bought a new (used) that only shows rev, oil temp and DC charging ocasionally. Wont start from the panel, but the previous owner had a pushbutten installed, and it works fine. But first try to crank the engine by hand...
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo