Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 05:08   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Help me find TDC

Just another note, once you do get TDC, if there are not marks on the block and wheel, once you find TDC make them yourself for future reference.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 08:50   #17

I was thinking about this over my morning coffee.......

The cam shaft timing will determine if the cam shaft was pulled or it's drive system was disturbed. There are some engines where the cam shaft is driven by chain, belt, or gear directly off the crank with no intermediate items involved. If this is the case, and the drive was not disturbed, the cam will be in time. If that is the case, when at TDC you should find corresponding marks (they may not meet though......) on the cam gear and crank gear (for the cam).

Since I'm not totally sure about this engine......you will need to be the judge if the cam is in time.

James L
Old 18-11-2012, 11:22   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
I put on the flywheel today and there are marks for TDC on it but this engine has been marinized and the corresponding marks were on a part that was removed during the marinizing process. Also the marks are near impossible to read in my installation. I Need to transfer these marks to a different part of the fly wheel. I am doing this in pencil. There is an inner pulley of some sort that would work well. I am using a steel tape to measure the circumference and will take half that measurement and make a mark on the fkywheel opposite TDC. From there I will put a straight edge thru the two marks and this will give me TDC on the smaller pulley. I am glad I am not paying myself to do this. I will then make a mark on the block to align the pulley with.

@ prop a. This is a gear driven engine. The crankshaft had to be aligned at TDC in order to install the crank into the block. There were a number of marks on the gears which had to be aligned. When I got them aligned the crank slipped in easily.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 12:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I put on the flywheel today and there are marks for TDC on it but this engine has been marinized and the corresponding marks were on a part that was removed during the marinizing process. Also the marks are near impossible to read in my installation. I Need to transfer these marks to a different part of the fly wheel. I am doing this in pencil. There is an inner pulley of some sort that would work well. I am using a steel tape to measure the circumference and will take half that measurement and make a mark on the fkywheel opposite TDC. From there I will put a straight edge thru the two marks and this will give me TDC on the smaller pulley. I am glad I am not paying myself to do this. I will then make a mark on the block to align the pulley with.

@ prop a. This is a gear driven engine. The crankshaft had to be aligned at TDC in order to install the crank into the block. There were a number of marks on the gears which had to be aligned. When I got them aligned the crank slipped in easily.
Charlie, most manuals put the engine at TDC for assembly. I sent you a PM, so you can read through that, and get back to me if there is any confusion. I will not swear the engine will be at TDC when those gears are aligned, but I would bet some money on it.

James L