Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 16:33   #16

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Help me find a manual fuel transfer pump for diesel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
For transferring from jugs to the tank, the simplest, most reliable, most compact, and perhaps fastest (if you include set0up time) is the shaker siphon
Even simpler, more reliable, most compact, and perhaps even faster than a pump is just pouring the diesel fuel from jugs into the diesel fuel tank.

The little piece of cut away aluminum pipe screwed into the deck fill helps direct the fuel jug nozzle into the deck fitting and is quite useful when things are moving around. The deck fitting is in the cockpit and under the dodger where things are almost always dry. The jug rests on the cockpit seat until it is almost empty, then the jug is lifted up to drain out the last of the fuel.

Our water fills are on the side decks, and there we use a funnel made from PVC water pipe fittings from Lowes when pouring from jugs. The funnel screws tightly into the deck fitting, raises the inlet above the deck, and gives a bigger hole to shoot for. It is made from a NPT male to slip adaptor that screws into the deck fitting, a short piece of pipe, a bushing, and a bell reducer that forms the funnel bowl.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 16:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42

why pump ?, why not one of these ? , you shake the hose and out comes the diesel

ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:33   #18

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

I ordered the shaker siphon and the PVC nipple is a great idea. I will get that as well and try this weekend!
Old 28-06-2017, 10:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Even simpler, more reliable, most compact, and perhaps even faster than a pump is just pouring the diesel fuel from jugs into the diesel fuel tank.

The little piece of cut away aluminum pipe screwed into the deck fill helps direct the fuel jug nozzle into the deck fitting and is quite useful when things are moving around. The deck fitting is in the cockpit and under the dodger where things are almost always dry. The jug rests on the cockpit seat until it is almost empty, then the jug is lifted up to drain out the last of the fuel.

Our water fills are on the side decks, and there we use a funnel made from PVC water pipe fittings from Lowes when pouring from jugs. The funnel screws tightly into the deck fitting, raises the inlet above the deck, and gives a bigger hole to shoot for. It is made from a NPT male to slip adaptor that screws into the deck fitting, a short piece of pipe, a bushing, and a bell reducer that forms the funnel bowl.
This could work ok at the dock for us, but out at sea there is too much motion, and the fill cap is up amidships, not in the cockpit. Looks like a good solution for your configuration though!
Old 28-06-2017, 10:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
Thanks everyone. Some good choices here. I am l leaning toward the no-amp, salt resistant options....
Good to hear, but just in case you change your mind, beware some of the electric pumps shown in this thread use "diesel/gas" in the ebay ad title, then in the fine print they state not to use it for petrol or diesel. I would NEVER use a submersible electric pump in a diesel tank or jug due to explosion risk.

The rotary hand pumps are pretty fast. The shaker siphons work pretty good, I've also had just as much flow from a 3/4" piece of tube placed into the jug, then using a plastic bag, sealed off the rest of the opening and blowing into the hose and immediately putting it into the receiving jug or tank.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:06   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post

I've certainly poured many times, and on some boats it works. The advantages of the shaker siphon are:

• No holding the jug. You are lucky, but on many boats you may be in a really bad posture, particularly underway.
  • Jug does not need to be right by the tank.
  • Works with the new CARB cans. You don't use the spout, anyway!
  • No spills. Zero.
  • Easy to stop if the tank is full. Just pull the hose up a few inches.
  • Faster than most CARB cans (they have restricted vents).
Old 17-07-2017, 08:42   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2892.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	152071

So what do you do to stay busy 150 miles east of Cape Cod? Break out the new shaker siphon and see how well it works you say?

They results are in and it transfers a 5 gallon tank nicely in about 4 minutes with little effort and no mess! At $7 on amazon, tough to beat although I will likely replace the vinyl hose with something less likely to develop pinch point

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!

Tags
diesel, fuel