Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2019, 10:51   #16

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41
Re: Help: Diesel Starts and Stalls

I had the same situation a few years ago. Westerbeke wanted $600+ for the water pump">raw water pump. Got it from Johnson for $200.

BUT THE BIG NEWS IS HALLELUIA: installed the new ($40) fuel solenoid yesterday, waited overnight for the sealer to set. Started right up without bleeding and runs like a champ. I now have a relationship with my engine.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 13:47   #17

Great to hear Win! Hope the voyage proceeds smoothly from here.
Old 12-01-2020, 15:16   #18

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Update: got back to the boat January 7 after family time back home thinking engine problem was solved. Engine started right, up ran fine 15 minutes, started backing down the fairway and engine stalled. From experience, I knew it would not restart, since the oil pressure alarm was not beeping which probably meant the breaker had tripped. The dockmaster couldn't figure out how I knew it would not restart. Running aground and a lot of line handling later (a little scary when he threw the grappling hook at us), we finally got retied to the dock. The new fuel solenoid was so hot, the wiring was starting to smoke. Installed the third solenoid, same problem. Lots of discussion with local Westerbeke dealer and Westerbeke tech at master distributor. Westerbeke has incredible customer service (NOT): you cannot call only email. My next step is to ask the tech to call the Westerbeke expert for advice. He says the guy is so overhelmed it may take a week for a reply. Meanwhile, I cut the plunger off the burned out solenoid (#2), reinstalled it, and used the manual fuel shutoff to kill the engine. We're on the road again headed south. I may install a mechanical cable so I can kill the engine from the cockpit and forget about the electric shutoff. By the way, Belhaven marina could not have treated us better during the two months Defiance was there. Kudos to Manager Greg for all his help. Definitely good guys here: I had two local Diesel mechanics come look at the engine, and both of them did not charge me, since they could not fix the problem.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 16:43   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Sounds an awful lot like either a wire was switched on an alarm or sensor when the heat exchanger was changed, or that a wire has chafed (or has been pinched) and is making an intermittent connection somewhere.

Manual shutoff is good, sometimes old 'technology' is best...
jimbunyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 08:28   #20

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschwab View Post
Update: got back to the boat January 7 after family time back home thinking engine problem was solved. Engine started right, up ran fine 15 minutes, started backing down the fairway and engine stalled. From experience, I knew it would not restart, since the oil pressure alarm was not beeping which probably meant the breaker had tripped. The dockmaster couldn't figure out how I knew it would not restart. Running aground and a lot of line handling later (a little scary when he threw the grappling hook at us), we finally got retied to the dock. The new fuel solenoid was so hot, the wiring was starting to smoke. Installed the third solenoid, same problem. Lots of discussion with local Westerbeke dealer and Westerbeke tech at master distributor. Westerbeke has incredible customer service (NOT): you cannot call only email. My next step is to ask the tech to call the Westerbeke expert for advice. He says the guy is so overhelmed it may take a week for a reply. Meanwhile, I cut the plunger off the burned out solenoid (#2), reinstalled it, and used the manual fuel shutoff to kill the engine. We're on the road again headed south. I may install a mechanical cable so I can kill the engine from the cockpit and forget about the electric shutoff. By the way, Belhaven marina could not have treated us better during the two months Defiance was there. Kudos to Manager Greg for all his help. Definitely good guys here: I had two local Diesel mechanics come look at the engine, and both of them did not charge me, since they could not fix the problem.
You need to make sense of the solenoid. I believe solenoid is not continuous duty. I made that mistake once on westerbeake. When energized via push button, it's supposed to shut off the fuel and you only hold it for a second or two. Instead I had it connected to keep fuel ON when energized without the push button. I wired it right off of ignition. So it was drawing current for engine to run. That made the coil very hot as it is not meant to have current flowing 100% of the time during engine runtime. Any marine solenoid for intermittent (non continuous) duty will do, just wire it and connect it right.

And for stalling, I would add a primer bulb between tank and primary filter. Prime it and you will see a lot of your leaks that are stalling the engine. That whole section of fuel hoses has negative pressure so its hard to find leaks. Primer bulb will put positive pressure and help you find leaks. That solved my mystery stalling.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel