Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 02:11   #1

Heat Exchanger - testing with a cheap alternative

Hi, I recently bought a Roberts 25 which has a Sole Mini-10 10HP diesel. I couldn't test the engine at the time I purchased it. It's now been to the mechanic and they advised the heat exchanger is heavily corroded due to the coolant not being changed for a very long time. They got it started but recommended not trying to fix the engine as a new heat exchanger would be about $3000 and by the time it was all installed and the engine serviced the cost would be about $6000 and therefore I'd be better off getting a new engine. They also mentioned the head and oil coolers might have suffered too. I'm wondering if I could fit some kind of cheap non-standard heat exchanger that is not expensive to test whether the engine may be worth saving? Otherwise if anyone has any ideas on getting an engine in the boat without significant expense? I've considered fitting an outboard but the mechanic advised I'd probably be disappointed.
Timinbondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:37   #2

re: Heat Exchanger - testing with a cheap alternative

If you are in Aussie try Deicon Marine Brisbane.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So it's the freshwater side that is the problem? If it's not currently leaking I'd try flushing the whole engine with a two part radiator flush, the two part ones are the strongest, first part is acid, second a neutralizer, follow directions, what have you got to lose?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I would find a new mechanic....

Any heat exchanger of similar capacity cobbled together would allow you to run and test your engine...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:47   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Depending on the configuration of your stern a 9.9 outboard should work well. You will just need to be a little creative about accessing to start or for shifting. For steering just clamp the motor midships and use your rudder. Throttle control might just require a tiller extension. I believe that there is no reason mess with your inboard when an outboard may well be much cheaper than repairs.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Any heat exchanger of similar capacity cobbled together would allow you to run and test your engine...
Why the OP's heat exchanger costs $3k for such an engine is beyond me. I can get a brand new unit for my Perkins for about $650. You could no doubt "cobble" something together with an exchanger like that for example.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:22   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

A test run is possible by jury rigging and bypassing the oil cooling.

You seem to have been quoted some high prices. A pickle and pressure test is something any radiator shop can do. In extreme cases they'll sweat off the ends and rod out the tubes.

Unless you have corrosion that has resulted in thin walls most exchangers are recoverable.

At the very least it might be a good spare.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:33   #8

buy yourself a beta and be done with it
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:55   #9

Re: Heat Exchanger - testing with a cheap alternative

"They also mentioned the head and oil coolers might have suffered too."

Before I spent $10,000 on a new engine, I'd want to remove the "might" and do some diagnostics. Compression test, leakdown test, coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant would all be helpful. Have a look at some of the passageways in the engine.

I don't understand how a heat exchanger can cost $3,000. I just changed mine for $400. I also don't understand how a service can cost another $3,000.

Sounds like you have a mechanic who doesn't like fixing things. Find another, or do it yourself.

Can you send a pic of the heat exchanger? I took a look at the Sole website and found a parts list, but couldn't see a heat exchanger.

I have a used but serviceable 2" heat exchanger off my Universal 5424, which you can could have. Location would be helpful.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
buy yourself a beta and be done with it
If it is a Sole Mini 10 it's based on a Mitsubishi, which is a perfectly sound design. Why throw away a perfectly good engine?
Old 06-11-2015, 13:34   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

http://www.solediesel.com/portals/0/...es/mi09_en.pdf
Old 06-11-2015, 14:18   #12

Be sure to check your oils to make sure you don't have water in there from a failed heat exchanger (if there is a tranny & oil h.e).

Looking at online photos of the engine, it appears the heat exchanger is integrated into the exhaust manifold and coolent tank. If true, you may want to remove ir prior to a whole engine flush to clean & inspect first, looking for large flakes and perforations. Based on your description it is the fresh water side that's an issue, and good advice has already been given regarding flushing and getting a new mechanic.

While flushing, use barnacle buster on the salt water side to get the crusties (crustations) out of there too. Might as well replace your hoses while you are at it.

If the exchanger seems to have real issues, your options may be limited due to the design. Enjoy the learning experience.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 14:48   #13

Don't know where you are, and, given your engine and the configuration of the HX, maybe these guys can help:

Heat Exchangers 101: Sources for replacement

Good Guys at SENDURE & Heat Exchanger Source & Flix
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 19:00   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
A test run is possible by jury rigging and bypassing the oil cooling.

You seem to have been quoted some high prices. A pickle and pressure test is something any radiator shop can do. In extreme cases they'll sweat off the ends and rod out the tubes.

Unless you have corrosion that has resulted in thin walls most exchangers are recoverable.

At the very least it might be a good spare.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Agree with that. I can get a re-core on a copper radiator (antique car) for less than 200 bucks. Even if the tubes are thin, you should be able to find a radiator or boiler shop that can re-tube it for well less than a new one. Just don't let them know its for a boat. Say it runs the compressor in your shop.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 14:26   #15

Thanks for all the excellent replies! The boat is in Sydney, Australia for those who asked. I will take it on as a project and keep you informed how it progresses. The boat hasn't been used for quite a while. Is there anything I should be careful of when trying to get the engine ship shape again? I have to admit I'm a novice when it comes to mechanics but happy to give it a try.
Timinbondi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, heat exchanger