Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 08:17   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Hard wearing single Fan Belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Dont get too excited, At best belt dressing is a temporary solution...it wears off and it wont fix any root cause problems like misaligment.
Good for s squealing belt until you can replace it or as you said find the root cause.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 09:41   #32

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

What I saw, back in the day , looked like a crayon. I've personally replaced belts, this was a, "Get by, until pay day," tool. I was thinking of it as a rust inhibitor, in this application.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 09:49   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
What I saw, back in the day , looked like a crayon. I've personally replaced belts, this was a, "Get by, until pay day," tool. I was thinking of it as a rust inhibitor, in this application.
I thought a piece if soap. At any rate watch your fingers when applying it to a running belt. I guess my kids use spray,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 10:04   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have used soap but the solution is to find out what the problem is and fix that. One thing, if you are leaving the boat for an extended period, slacken the belt.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 10:27   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Belt dressings are a mixed blessing, they can rot the belt, which stops noise but hurts in the long run. Properly installed, no belt ever needs them.

Gates, Goodyear...plenty of good brand names but when you have V-belts now, you have obsolete and arcane parts that the auto shops often don't carry any more, so you are best off trying to order from a reputable merchant.

And I say reputable, because counterfeit auto parts are a HUGE global industry and there's no way you can tell a counterfeit Gates, etc. from a real one, that costs some distributor 1/10th of the price. (Which explains why a lot of "good" belts don't last.)

As to being abrasion resistant to rust? No, really, that's backwards. Belts are designed to work on smooth clean pulleys and it is your job to clean them up, have them painted or anodized or parkerized, whatever it takes to restore the correct finish so a belt can work with it. Find a machine shop, bring in the pulley, ask for options.

It is also very easy, when auto shops don't want to waste space stocking obsolete parts and the kids getting minimum wage don't want to waste time on them, to be sold a V-belt that is not the right profile. You can find lists with diagrams that show how many profiles there are for v-belts. The angle of the V can actually be different. The height and width can be different. Off by a little bit, and you'll never see it but the engine will eat belts.

Any kind of kludge or compromise will eat belts. But take the time to make sure everything (pulleys, mounts, belts, alignment) is set up right, and all of a sudden the problems go away. Much simpler in the long run.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:48   #36
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Belt dressing is just glue on a spray can. Made for squeaky and worn belts on old cars.
Not recommended on a boat, except for an emergency. (Adjustment to max and belt slipping not charging or cooling.)
Old 31-05-2015, 14:41   #37

Hard wearing single Fan Belts

Switching to a serpentine belt got rid of my belt issues. I have a 125 amp alternator that ate V belts making a mess of fine rubber powder. We installed a serpentine belt with a heavier shaft on a new water pump and issues are gone. I carry a spare belt just in case...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single