Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2021, 15:32   #61

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: Groundhog Day

Sailinghartu - I read a lot of these forums, and used to work on engines, now spend more time advising on installations these days, although generally not in a marine environment, seems the Yanmar lift pump, can fail in a few ways,

1) leak fuel externally.
2) leak fuel to the crankcase.
3) allow air into the fuel.

Like any part of the fuel system air can get in even if fuel cannot get out, the pump will have a diaphragm, inside so won’t last forever.
I always ask myself - is it really needed? Because the more things you fit the more you have to fail. Sometimes adding something that you think is good can actually drastically reduce the system reliability.

Generally I would consider removing a mechanical fuel lift pump, where ever possible. No matter of the manufacturer also in some cases a lift pump is not even required. Which is a much better solution.
That said I had an Electric lift pump on my Beta, and had a fuel issue in an estuary ( had to run to the bow and throw the anchor out - things never fail when you are in a safe place) anyway I replaced the filters and removed the lift pump, and had no issues since.

If you see also about pressure testing your fuel system with air and using soapy water to check for leaks like you would with a Gas pipe. You only need to add a low pressure and a gauge. I have never had to do this myself on a diesel system ( mandatory on Gas ) but I have strongly suggested that others to carry out this test, when they cannot fix their issues.

Yanmar Still one of my favourite small engines.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 01:50   #62
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
After I looked up what a "bell housing" and "loom connector" were ..... I checked/jiggled/pushed the wires at the panel in the cockpit and then at the engine and guess what? Perhaps all my fussing around with the engine loosened something, can't say what but happy it's back up! Thank you
I think you meant to write "I inspected and exercised the inter-connectors" .

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 18:00   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I think you meant to write "I inspected and exercised the inter-connectors" .

yes, that. )

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote