Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 13:28   #1

Groove on he saildrive shaft

What do u say about the grooves on my saildrive shaft? Worry or not worry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16065086365677904986828909861031.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	227742  
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 17:23   #2

Re: Groove on he saildrive shaft

Don't look deep, have you held a piece of Emory cloth against it while its spinning? One thing is to look for narrower seals that will ride on the unworn section of the shaft, just tap them in to best location.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 17:35   #3

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Not sure if that is a Volvo or Yanmar. Mine's a Volvo. I was able to shim the new seals out a bit. I cut apart one of the old seals to use as a shim. Others will say use speedy sleeves but the shimming really does work. You won't fix that with emery cloth, too deep.
Thumbs Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 22:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
Don't look deep, have you held a piece of Emory cloth against it while its spinning? One thing is to look for narrower seals that will ride on the unworn section of the shaft, just tap them in to best location.
it's pretty deep. Can feel it with my nail easily. nothing to be easily polished down
Old 27-11-2020, 22:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Not sure if that is a Volvo or Yanmar. Mine's a Volvo. I was able to shim the new seals out a bit. I cut apart one of the old seals to use as a shim. Others will say use speedy sleeves but the shimming really does work. You won't fix that with emery cloth, too deep.
thanks. it's a sd31 Yanmar
how much did you cut it? what tool did you use to not deform it?
speedy sleeve is also a good idea...
Old 27-11-2020, 22:28   #6

This guy has the same groove and depth as mine.....can it be a groove that has been machined and are supposed to be there?

...and the more Im thinking about it...can it be a groove for the washer/spacer. Cause I remember there was one metal ring sitting there somewhere between the two seals
Old 27-11-2020, 23:39   #7

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
This guy has the same groove and depth as mine.....can it be a groove that has been machined and are supposed to be there?

...and the more Im thinking about it...can it be a groove for the washer/spacer. Cause I remember there was one metal ring sitting there somewhere between the two seals
I don't know, only familiar with the Volvo 120s. I was looking at the shiny area in your photo where the seal lip would ride and it is inside the groove. (or maybe has been shimmed before) It is a very common problem for the seal to cut a groove in time. But yes it does look machined. How I cut an old seal into a disk escapes me, I probably used an angle grinder. I learned the trick from Carlos the Welder in Rio Dulce. Found this video (didn't watch it) but looks like they describe shimming and is a Yanmar so maybe will help. Yours looks to be in better shape than the one in video.
Thumbs Up is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive