Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 17:40   #1

grey stuff instead of oil

guys,

my volvo penta 2002 with raw water cooling system doesnt crank on and suspect the batteries but ... a week ago I changed the oil and now I checked again the oil level and what I have found surprised me a lot ... instead of oil I saw gray oily liquid! the crank schaft is full of it! ... then I discovered it may be caused by water present in the crank shaft ... but how could the water come in?? Im not aware of any fault from my side

before oil change all seemed to be just fine

the only thing I remember is that I hooked up fixed alternator and then kept the engine running for about two hours with throtle in neutral position, to recharge batteries ... after two hours the warning light lighted up so I shut down the engine and next day tried again .. and found the grey stuff

any ideas?
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: grey stuff instead of oil

I think you were discussing this on another thread but its probably good to have its own thread. I checked and you said you broke a screw(?) or was it a bolt when changing the alternator. Its possible that you broke the water jacket and that is allowing water into the crankcase where it is mixing with the oil. Another possibility is that, if you have an oil cooler, you are getting salt water into the crankcase that way. I am assuming that this is a salt water cooled engine. Am I right?

There are a number of other possibilities, such as; cracked block, bad head gasket, cracked head, etc.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:59   #3

Which alarm light came on after two hours?

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 18:04   #4

yes, its raw water cooled system and I dont know what the alarm light was since on the control panel are not light descriptions

in the previous thread I asked about broken apart a bolt when I was tightening alternator belt ... it turned out to be old unsed water temperature gauge (not anode) ... using easy out I took the rest of it out of engine body and put in place simply a bronze bolt

the question is whether those two issues might be related?
Old 10-03-2015, 18:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

OK, just as I thought. You have two threads going on the same problem. Please contact a moderator and ask them to combine the two threads.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 18:23   #6

DeepFrz, well I believe its not the same problem ... the broken screw/bolt was old unsed cooling temperature guage, using easy out I took it out and simply put a new screw to close the hole

actually I suspect the raw water pump as water leaks around a bit or head gasket ... the later would be strange coincidence but may be ...

is there a way how raw water pump failture may be related to water ingress into crank shaft?
Old 10-03-2015, 18:36   #7

Boat: Krogen 42

How tight did you tighten the new bolt. You could possibly tighten it through the water jacket. Pull it out and see if the hole goes all the way through.
meridian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 18:53   #8

whoa,

lets back up a little. can you elaborate re : "doesn't crank on" ?

You turn the key, it cranks but doesn't start? It clicks? Nothing?
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 18:54   #9

I had a similar discovery in an atomic 4 I had when I saw white smoke coming from the exhaust. Found water was getting into the oil. Flushed oil at least five times testing different theories on cause. Verified it originated from water pump by temporarily bypassing the pump unit. Turned out the shaft in my water pump had worn and was leaking water through the seal. New water pump fixed problem but by that time I had read enough about electric propulsion and pulled engine, cables, hoses etc.. And went with electroprop's E-7 electric drive. Have run for a full season and absolutely love it. Low maintenance, no oil or gas smells. Sold the atomic four. Never going back.
Chiquita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:06   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by arecuk View Post
...the broken screw/bolt was old unsed cooling temperature guage, using easy out I took it out and simply put a new screw to close the hole...
This sounds suspiciously like something that happens JUST prior to finding water in the crankcase.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
lets back up a little. can you elaborate re : "doesn't crank on" ?
You turn the key, it cranks but doesn't start? It clicks? Nothing?

I turn the key, it clicks and the electric engine starts cranking the diesel engine ... I keep it for about 10sec but diesel engine doesnt start ... in the past (2 weeks ago) with the same batteries I could crank the diesel engine using external battery charger which gives 200amps boost but not any more ... so I thought it might be related to water ingress?
Old 10-03-2015, 19:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This sounds suspiciously like something that happens JUST prior to finding water in the crankcase.
Im afraid you might be right but how to proceed further? actually I just carefully screwed in a bronze screw to close the hole from old temperature gauge

somebody mentioned broken water jacket - what is water jacket? is it made from soft material or whatever that I could break when 'easying out' the rest of the screw from temperature gauge?
Old 10-03-2015, 19:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquita1 View Post
electroprop's E-7 electric drive. Have run for a full season and absolutely love it. Low maintenance, no oil or gas smells. Sold the atomic four. Never going back.
electric drive would be great for my boat if I had the budget ... but thx for your message as it seems to point me to the right direction ... just below the water pump I noticed slight water leak ... so maybe

just wondering why/how water pump itself is connected to the crankcase? I would expect that those two parts are fully separated?
Old 10-03-2015, 19:30   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The water jacket is the pathways or passages where cooling water circulates around the hot internal areas of the engine.

The water pump mounting is integral with these pathways to circulate cooling water.
Old 10-03-2015, 19:32   #15

here is discussed reversed problem - oil leak from water pump:
- http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mp-109089.html

pump scheme here:
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/...-26-11633.aspx

Tags
oil