Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 15:38   #16

Re: Going to look at boat with seized Perkins 4.108

sanibel sailor, I am curious, did you buy the aluminum boat with the siezed 108 that was on Ebay last week????.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:40   #17

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Yup. Couldn't help myself. 16K
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:50   #18

I sit here turning green with envy!!! I think that no matter how much neglect you have to correct , that you are going to have a wonderful boat. Please keep us posted on the things both good and bad that you discover.____A very jealous land locked sailor____Grant.
Old 19-02-2013, 17:13   #19

Boat: Columbia, 43 "Tranquilo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Umm, sorry. I forgot to answer the big question. How do I free it up?
Drain the oil. If a bunch of water comes out (more than a gallon) it might be terminal.
Remove the injectors. Squirt some PB Blaster down each cylinder, 3-4 seconds of spray. Put a big wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. GENTLY rock it back and forth, back and forth. Wait til tomorrow and do that again. Repeat.
If you try too hard to break it loose you'll break the rings or the piston ring lands.
If you get it lose pour a couple tablespoons of ATF in each hole and rotate the engine around several times. Not too much or you'll hydrolock it.
Put the injectors back in taking care to tighten them down evenly and making sure that you have each copper sealing washer in place. Bleed the injection system.
Put new oil in and a new filter.
Try to start it up.
If it doesn't start within 30 seconds, try a little shot of starting fluid.
Good luck.

How does one hydrolock the engine with ATF if the injectors are pulled?
Tranquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:29   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

You'll see that the next step is put the injectors in. If there were still 1/2 cup of fluid in one of the cylinders it would stop things.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:30   #21

Trust me!!!! if you have turned the engine over with the starter, there will not be enough liquid in the cylinder to lock anything up. It will be all over the engine room walls. Do you need to know how I learned this stupid mistake??. If you have used any type of liquid to free and engine up and try the starter, make sure you have a big towel over the injector ports or you will learn how to wash the mess off of the engine room walls. Older and maybe smarter._____Grant.
Old 06-03-2013, 00:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
somewhere around here i saw an ad from a company in the panhandle that will take your old block in trade on a rebuilt 4-108 for around $6000.

That would be me. I rebuilt or re-manufactured nine Perkins 4.108's in 2012. I have four more undergoing rebuild as of 3/6/13, plus two 4.154's and some Yanmars. With your rebuildable engine a 4.108 rebuild long block is $5,000, a reman is $6,000 plus shipping from Pensacola. We will deliver 600 miles or less from Pensacola for free. We do not do installations anymore - too old, arthritis, etc.
PM or call 850 572 1225 Central time between 0800 and 1200

don't know what kind of transmission you have. if the v-drive is a walther, they're in new jersey and will rebuild it for around $1000.

what with installation and everything else i'm thinking you could be in for $10 to $12k....
These engines are very robust and will last years + many overhauls.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58   #23

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Trust me!!!! if you have turned the engine over with the starter, there will not be enough liquid in the cylinder to lock anything up. It will be all over the engine room walls. Do you need to know how I learned this stupid mistake??. If you have used any type of liquid to free and engine up and try the starter, make sure you have a big towel over the injector ports or you will learn how to wash the mess off of the engine room walls. Older and maybe smarter._____Grant.
I worked with a mechanic who had lost a eye while looking at a injector precup while cranking a cat diesel over.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 18:00   #24

Sanibel sailor, Could you give us a report on what you have discovered on an EBAY purchased boat. I am especially interested in metal boats , since I no longer have the wife that said NEVER AGAIN after owning a steel boat. Maybe it should be on the maintainance sub forum????_____Grant.
Old 06-03-2013, 18:31   #25

Engine seized solid, needed all new batteries, some electronics work, looks like a lot of gear and equipment that just needs sorted out. Not as good as hoped, but better than expected. Hull/deck/rig/ground tackle all seem very good. I am planning on sailing her home from Tampa to Ft Myers tomorrow, sans engine. I picked up a used diesel generator engine from a friend for $800, same Perkins 4-108, just not marinized. Know a guy who will do the work pulling/reinstalling for a good price.
Old 25-05-2013, 06:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Hi,
Maybe we talked on the phone? Anyway, I do remans and repairs on 4.108's. Just delivered one last Saturday to a customer from Charleston, SC. I have several blocks, one with all new liners which should be ready in two weeks, about 15 June. You may be able to re-use your starter, alternator, heat exchangers, expansion tank, oil cooler, bell housing, adapter plate and transmission. If not we have new and good used parts available at extra cost.

Since we replace the liners in engines that have been seized, we disassemble the engine to the bare block. Then we beat the seized piston(s) out of the cylinder using white oak and 3, 4, 8 or 12 pound hammer. We are going to replace the liners and pistons anyway.

While we prefer the customer to come to our shop and witness the engine being test run, we will deliver up to 500 miles from Pensacola with no extra charge.

My young partner, Johhny who is only 68 and I only 74 have many years experience and have completed all the trade schools. We have one standard: If we would install the engine in our sailboat and head out on a multi year cruise, we will sell it to you.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:17   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Old Cal 46 Skipper,

Well, how in the heck are you and Bobby anyway? Cool business y'all're in now.

Just wanted to say greetings, and GREAT BIG SMILES to you both.

Ann & Jim
Old 25-05-2013, 15:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

Hi Cates,
Good to hear from you. Last time was in the Sea of Cortez in 1989. That is a lot of knots under the keel.
If y'all ever get close to Pensacola, come and visit. We have a guest cottage and dock space for our cruising friends. We have a lot to talk about.

Tom & Bobbie
Old 25-05-2013, 16:37   #29

Yeah Tom, I think we ran into you in the SOC a couple times in about '85... seems I remember the face and the boat... were you there then? We were newbies on a little 30 footer called "looking glass".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:43   #30

Engine installed and run yesterday, a few little details to sort out but near done

Tags
perkins