Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2023, 15:03   #1

Glow Plug clicking on Yanmar 3YM20

My sailboat has a Yanmar 3YM20 engine, which was newly installed in 2006. The engine has been used for 440 hours. The last time I started the engine was in October. It ran smoothly without any problems.

Last week, I cleaned the fuel in the tank using a fuel polishing system. Before the cleaning process, I closed the valve between the fuel tank and the primary filter. After the cleaning, I opened the valve again.

Today, I decided to start the engine. When I turned the key counterclockwise, instead of hearing the glow plug buzzing, I only heard a click sound coming from the engine.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this issue, and how can I fix it?
Rykmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 00:30   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Glow Plug clicking on Yanmar 3YM20

Glow plugs don't buzz. Maybe that is a buzzer to tell you that the glow plugs are energized. The clicking sound is probably a relay that powers the glow plugs.

This is probably a dead start battery. Polishing the fuel has nothing to do with the electrical system. Measure your battery voltage and watch what happens to it when you turn the keyswitch.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:24   #3

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Starter solenoid trying to engage the starter motor , check that the engine turns over by hand ,if good check battery voltage when trying to start ,also all cable connected to the starter ,especially the negative on the engine block ,a process of elimination is the best way.⚓️��
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykmann View Post
My sailboat has a Yanmar 3YM20 engine, which was newly installed in 2006. The engine has been used for 440 hours. The last time I started the engine was in October. It ran smoothly without any problems.

Last week, I cleaned the fuel in the tank using a fuel polishing system. Before the cleaning process, I closed the valve between the fuel tank and the primary filter. After the cleaning, I opened the valve again.

Today, I decided to start the engine. When I turned the key counterclockwise, instead of hearing the glow plug buzzing, I only heard a click sound coming from the engine.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this issue, and how can I fix it?

The buzzing was the engine alarm, the clicking was most likely the glowplug relay. Did the engine crank over easily? Either the buzzer has failed OR, the current draw is so high with both the glowplug and the starter motor demand there’s bugger all to keep the buzzer buzzing.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, yanmar