Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 09:43   #1

Boat: Ericson 38
Fuel stabilizer/biocides

I added some Stabil Fuel stabilizer http://www.goldeagle.com/products/productA16B.aspx to my last fill up. The boat is about to sit for the winter in Portland, OR. This product says it "Helps remove water that microbes and algae require for growth".

Should I be adding a biocide in addition to this product?
assfortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 10:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Fuel stabilizer/biocides

Not knowing the chemical make up for Stabil but don't think it has a biocide and is more for gasoline which degrades relatively quickly compared to diesel. If it were me, would add Biobor or some other additive with a biocide.

Bacteria growth is not a great problem in your arctic conditions but bacteria will build up. Started treating the 25 gallons diesel tank with Biobor a couple of years before leaving for Hawaii from SF. Tank was more than 40 years old and Biobor was not among various cans of stuff that came with the boat. Racor 500 filter was totally clogged after I reached Hawaii. Had to disassemble it and scrub out the yogurt consistency junk that had been stirred up and ingested. Put a lot of hours on the engine because I had to turn back the first time and power 200 miles to SF. Didn't check the filter but thinking back on it, filter bowl was a little cloudy before leaving the first time. In short, change your filter after adding Biobor and before you leave for a cruise. Probably would help to take the boat out in some challenging weather to shake the tank up before changing the filter or have the fuel polished if the engine hasn't been run much.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 03:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fuel stabilizer/biocides

Also worth checking the filler plug to ensure it has a good newish seal and then give it a smear of petroluem jelly just to be sure. You don't want rain slowly dribbling into the tank over the winter.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel