Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 07:40   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40
Fuel pump leaking - again l

In December, we had our fuel injector pump rebuilt on our W52 after discovering a fuel leak at the governor cover gasket. Everything running fine till yesterday. Another small leak. This one appears to be from the top of the fuel shut-off solenoid.

I am in the Bahamas..the Abacos, and need some ideas of what to do next.

1. Is the fuel shutoff solenoid a part I can remove and replace without removing the entire fuel injector pump?

2. Is there a short term repair I can make to get us back to FL? For example, can I seal the top with JBWeld and put a hose clamp on it?

3. Will the leak get worse over time? Yesterday, I lost 3-4 oz during a 4 hr motor.

4. I am worried about a catastrophic failure and diesel spraying over a hot engine.

Welcome any ideas and suggestions.

Many Thanks...and Happy Easter!
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Fuel pump leaking - again l

I don't know your pump, but... the stop solenoid isn't a high pressure area. Usually the cap has a o-ring for a gasket. You could try tightening the screws that hold the cap on or take off the cap, clean off fuel and add some gasket sealer.
The engine should run fine whatever you do. If you carry oil absorbing pads, you could put a piece where it catches the drips.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 15:42   #3

Boat: Bayfield 40
Re: Fuel pump leaking - again l

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that a try. I'm reposting with a different subject line, hoping for more feedback.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump