Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 16:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida
Fuel hoses for yanmar 3gm30f

I recently suspected an air leak from my yanmar fuel lines, and since the boat/fuel lines are 19 years old I figure to go ahead and put new ones in. I'm also replacing the racor filter assembly as it leaks at the priming pump when priming. At the local auto parts store I asked for diesel fuel lines and explained they are used on a boat. When I pulled the old lines off I noticed they have a yellow inner liner, which looks plastic. The replacement lines don't.

Question: Is there a specific marine diesel fuel hose I should be using?
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:31   #2

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fuel hoses for yanmar 3gm30f

No. Use any hose rates for diesel fuel. Gas line is probably OK especially if ethanol rated.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, you should use A1 fuel hose that meets I believe USCG standards, automotive fuel hose doesnít.
Iím pretty sure but not certain about USCG standards. I canít quote chapter and verse
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:40   #4
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

What Nicholson58 and a64pilot said +1.

Original Yanmar fuel lines do not have any yellow (plastic?) inner liner - at least none of the Yanmars I have ever seen have them.

This is just a 5/16" (8mm) diesel fuel line same as used for zillions of vehicles etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 17:10   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Are these new diesel fuels any different? I would be tempted to use a gas fuel hose with the inner liner for modern gas. Almost all high performance aircraft hoses are Teflon lined and that is what I think they are using in the hose I see at the boat store.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Are these new diesel fuels any different? I would be tempted to use a gas fuel hose with the inner liner for modern gas. Almost all high performance aircraft hoses are Teflon lined and that is what I think they are using in the hose I see at the boat store.
I wouldn't sweat it too much for diesel boat engine. Replaced our fuel hoses about 4 years ago, AFAIK they were the original yanmar ones that did 35 years with no teflon lining. They were looking pretty sad tho
A mate gave me some 300psi WP flame resistant USMSHA 26-11c 1/4" fuel hose thats made in Mexico & has no lining.Pretty sure you can get the same stuff in an auto store in the USA or equivalent
It is holding up fine & I'm using it for oil lines to a remote oil filter as well so if it can cope with hot oil (but only about 60C) it should cope with diesel.
Our yanmar workshop manual says replace hoses every 4 years FYI
Sounds like overkill to me
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The A1 marine fuel hose meets burn tests and I believe the A part of it is permeability, meaning itís not permeable, there is also a B hose that isnít meant to have fuel in it continuously.

Why it matters is one day you may have to get a survey and you may get a surveyor that knows better, plus standards exist for a reason, and itís usually safety.

Not saying buy the hose here, but it does quote chapter and verse
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/fuel-hose-uscg-type-a/
Old 04-08-2019, 18:31   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This spells it out better
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/183.540
Old 04-08-2019, 18:57   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The A1 marine fuel hose meets burn tests and I believe the A part of it is permeability, meaning itís not permeable, there is also a B hose that isnít meant to have fuel in it continuously.

Why it matters is one day you may have to get a survey and you may get a surveyor that knows better, plus standards exist for a reason, and itís usually safety.

Not saying buy the hose here, but it does quote chapter and verse
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/fuel-hose-uscg-type-a/
Not arguing with you but
USMSHA 26-11c is a mining standard for the fuel hose we are using & I've worked in mining & they are just as worried, if not more, about explosions as boaties. Doubt very much if USCG standards are any more stringent but I'm not going to pay to access the papers to prove it, or not as the case maybe.
I certainly have no hesitation about using fuel hose thats up to mining standards. YMMV
Old 04-08-2019, 18:59   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was tempted to use aircraft fuel hose, cause I could get it for free. I can assure you it way more than meets the USCG standard, but isnít marked for it, so itís not legal.
I did use quite a lot of aircraft wiring on my bank, the jumpers etc.
I donít write the rules
Old 04-08-2019, 19:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I was tempted to use aircraft fuel hose, cause I could get it for free. I can assure you it way more than meets the USCG standard, but isnít marked for it, so itís not legal.
I donít write the rules
Yes can see your point if you have to get the fuel hose designation past a surveyor to get insurance. I was only looking at it from the point of doing the job.
We don't seem to have to do that here but no doubt it's coming sadly.

Thanks for pricking my brain about aircraft fuel line, I know a turbine tech for a source if I need any more
Old 05-08-2019, 00:01   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am not sure any surveyor here in Australia is going to worry about using automotive fuel lines in a boat. My own yacht fuel lines are from the auto shop.
I did ask a guy to replace the flexible PVC pipe he was using for an exhaust hose last week. He had wrapped most of it with exhuast lagging which sort of made me wonder why he did not just buy exhaust hose to start with?

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:22   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Rather than your local auto parts store, go to a local heavy equipment or Tractor trailer supply store.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:31   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go to a Chandelier. Look at the A1 fuel hose, youíll understand then.
Often times getting something that has met this or that standard just means it was submitted for testing is all. Itís the same product.
However youíll immediately see that the A1 fuel hose is much more robust and tougher than even automotive fuel injection hose.
If you must use automotive stuff, try to find fuel injection hose, it costs more, but is meant for much higher pressure use, and it stronger than regular fuel line.
That is what I used in my dinghy as the fuel tank is about 10í away from the engine.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I donít write the rules

So if you had put fire sleeve over the bogus fuel hose, would the surveyor know what was under it?
I would not want an inspector who didn't know what quality hose looks like. They make all kinds of value judgments, make another one.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, fuel, yanmar