Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41   #1

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa
Fuel Filters/Pumps etc Crazy Idea?

I have air leaks on my Ford Lehman 120 so I am pulling everything apart and re-doing it. On paper it's fairly normal: Tank-algae X-Carter electric pump-valve-Racor 900-valve-lift pump-CAV filters-injector pump. The hoses were run very poorly startin well above the tank drooping well below it with poor spliced hoses for the return lines etc.
The fuel in the Racor looks great but when I pulled the CAV filters off there was water and some trash. I am not sure how it got past the Racor? is the 900 just to big? I read somewhere the turbine effect will not work with this low a circulation 1.7 gph
I am thinking about removing the Algea X and the 2 valves(filter is 3-4' above the tank) I am thinking of ways to make the system simpler KISS, So I have a few questions:
Why wouldn't a 2 micron Racor 900 work without the CAV filters?eliminating them all together.
Why not eliminate the mechanical lift pump? when the diaphragm fails won't the electric pump fill the oil pan up with diesel when you're trying to get home? A spare electric pump would be easy to carry and replace.
What about replacing the CAV filters with one Raco 200R or similar filter?

I would like to simplify the whole thing of course I can just put it back the way it was. I hope I found the air leak, a oring was missing from the bolt that goes through the CAV filter.

Proposed setup Tank-Racor 900-electric pump-injector pump
or as above except with a Racor 200R after the electric pump.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fuel filters/pumps etc crazy idea?

What is inside the Algae X? a magnet perhaps, either way yes ditch it. By chance I have some spare snake oil which will instantly fix all your ailments, can I interest you in a sample?

Nothing wrong with the mechanical engine lift pump they have been fueling engines for years. Does the system need an electric pump as well because you have so many filters and other stuff in the system?

Why not a simple water separator then the fuel pump and finally CAV filters, but you are right keep it simple.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:14   #3

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

The Algae X came with the boat, from what I have read it's just a magnet. As far as the lift pump, I have had one fail on a previous boat(same engine) I don't like the fact it can fill the oil pan with fuel.
The CAV filters and mechanical pumps were used for a long time but have been phased out, hundreds of thousands of cars run electric pumps as well as modern diesels in boats, trucks etc.
The electric pump in my setup makes bleeding the system after a filter change a breeze and it also serves as backup to the lift pump but there is an issue with that as stated above.
The CAV filters are messy and have many potential points of failure(leaks) 8 o-rings for the 2 so I am not a real fan, they do make an adapter to convert them to spin on style.
One question remains, why do we need 3 or more filters for one engine?

I have not ruled out keeping it as is or making just minor changes but want to explore my options.

Scott
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:23   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

You can get a spin on fuel filter adapter for the CAV. There are a hundred spin on filters that will fit the adapter, some have a drain valve right on the spin on filter. Very nice and not expensive.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Scott,

The nly reason to have more than one primary fuel filter in series if you are running progressively finer filters. Mine for instance run thru a 15micron, then a five micron filter. It helps extend the life of both filters, since the five doesn't have to deal with large particulates, and the first doesn't have to also filter out small stuff.

You can also run multiple filters in parallel (we do this on the power boat) so with a switch of a valve I can go from one set of filters to the other. This just allows me to choose when to do a filter change. So when motoring off a lee shore and the filters clog, I can swap to the second primed set immediatly. On this boat I have four filters per engine... A set in series and a set in parallel.

Of course the filter guys live me when I come in and need to replace them all at once.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 14:35   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Keep your shutoff valves. They will serve you well when you are doing maintenance on your fuel system. The carter pump was probably installed to make it easier to fill your Racor 900 filter and to bleed the fuel system. It is a good idea to have a switch on the carter pump and to just use it when you are doing maintenance.

I'm not sure of the specs on the Racor 200R but the 900 is supposed to be upstream of any pump. Its nice to have a vacuum gauge with tell tale pointer on or downstream of the 900. That way you can see if the 900 is getting plugged up.

Many people think that as long as fuel is flowing that the filters are fine. Recommended maintenance is to change the filters once a year at the very least. The CAV filter may not have been changed very often and that is why is has crap in it. Just a guess on my part.

The Racor 900 is big for that engine but seeing as you have it, keep it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 21:32   #7

If water sludge has made it to the secondary filters it would be a good reason to check the filter screen under the top lid of the lift pump.By the way hows the oil level in HP pump sump?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 22:32   #8

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I just had a problem with a rubber fuel hose purchased in Philippines to replace a copper line running under the engine that had a leak. The rubber did not last more than a couple of weeks before permeating water. Only found out because white smoke out the exhaust before the engine quit and found the engine cav full of water and racor clean. Changed bac,k to copper to solve the problem.
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter