Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 05:26   #1

Boat: TBC
Fuel filters

Is anyone familiar with this type of spin on fuel filter?
While trying to drain water from the sight glass on the bottom of the bowl I slowly realise that something looks wrong....
There was water in the right hand side filter but none in the left. The incoming fuel and the engine supply is connected to the right outputs.......
It's a double filter with an in and an out clearly marked on both ends of the filter body.
Am I right in thinking that only one filter is being used here? There's no pipework from the out of the first filter (on the right) to the in of the second (on the left) then on to the engine.
Both connections on the left side have just been capped off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425816838184.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	98485  
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Fuel filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
Is anyone familiar with this type of spin on fuel filter?
While trying to drain water from the sight glass on the bottom of the bowl I slowly realise that something looks wrong....
There was water in the right hand side filter but none in the left. The incoming fuel and the engine supply is connected to the right outputs.......
It's a double filter with an in and an out clearly marked on both ends of the filter body.
Am I right in thinking that only one filter is being used here? There's no pipework from the out of the first filter (on the right) to the in of the second (on the left) then on to the engine.
Both connections on the left side have just been capped off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Is there a lever that switches from one filter to the other?

My assembly (Racor) has two filters installed and a lever that allows one to be used until it needs to be changed and then the lever can be switched over to use the other filter without interrupting the fuel flow.

Post a couple more photos including one from the front. Or find the make and part number and then get the instructions from the manufacturer.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I'm honestly not sure. My filters look similar, but is actually a series filter. So the fuel hits both filters (at different microns) before leaving. It could also be designed as a parallel system (with the addition of a switch) that would allow quick switching between filter bodies. Either are reasonable, I like both, and that's why the engines on the big boat hav four filters per engine.

It would certainly be worth investigating what's going on.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There are no fuel lines connected to the left filter. It may mean that someone was going to set up a dual filter system with valves but didn't finish the job. So yes, only the right filter is being used.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:50   #5

This type of filter setup is common on Perkins & Ford, made by Simms or Cav it is not a spin on canister the centre bolt holds it together replacement element Cav 296. Your set up is presently only using the RH element the top section of the holder is crossed drilled if you extend either of the current lines to the LHS taking notice of the flow direction this will bring both into use. When changing elements do not discard the seal ring between the glass bowl & element as this is slightly smaller in diameter and generally not supplied with replacement elements being a separate part number.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter