Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 17:41   #1

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'
Fuel feed pump issue OR not?

Thanks again for the help! This has been an adventure.

I have been reading my Volvo workshop manual and it mentioned making sure the fuel feed pump (aka lift pump) "squeaked" when you press the manual lever (the bleeding lever).

Mine does not squeak. At all.

Squeaking indicates that the diaphragm inside is in good working order.

First of all, I am going to ignore it (for now) and not rebuild/disassemble it.

What I want to know is has anyone recently rebuilt their MD7A fuel feed pump? The pump for the MD7A (and many of the older Volvos) is a Pierburg, model number 15672.

The reason I ask is because they don't make parts anymore for this model and I have been unable to locate a rebuild kit, or anything, for the fuel feed pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel feed pump.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	107193   Click image for larger version

Name:	feed pump.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	107194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05628 small fuel pump.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	107195  
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:35   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fuel feed pump issue OR not?

Toss it in the garbage. Get a modern electric pump. Even if it ever did fail, it would still be way more dependable than the stupid mechanical pump.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:53   #3

Boat: Sabre 28

My life pump doesn't squeak when you press the lever but it works fine. You can see if it is flowing by trying to bleed your system. The pump has a fairly long throw, if you aren't getting that turn the engine a quarter of a turn or so and try again. Open the bleed screw on the engine filter and see if you get any fuel out of that. Screw 1 on the injector pump is will also freely flow fuel from the lift pump.

On my engine the lift pump was only leaking fuel out the injector pump screw 1. However it turned out that my fuel pickup had stainless steel wool mesh in it that was very clogged up. Taking that out made the lift pump flow much more fuel.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 19:09   #4

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

They do make a rebuild kit but it costs more than the pump.

They also make a new design of pump which costs $$$ (it is a Volvo after all).

To get it to work on the engine, you either need to buy the "specially formed" fuel pipe to get everything to hook up (fuel pump to fuel filter), or buy some pipe fittings so you can install fuel line hose.

The special fuel line costs nearly as much as the fuel pump - ie $$$

You'll have to hunt around, but you can usually find used fuel pumps. They are all the same from the MD-7 thru the 2000 series of engines (2001, 2002, 2003). Early VW's used the same fuel pump as the Volvo, but again getting hard to find.

Having a small 12vdc electric fuel pump (as mentioned in another post) is another possibility. It's big advantage is that it will reprime the entire fuel system in less than a minute after changing fuel filters.

If you go electric, make sure that you have a fuel filter installed BEFORE the electric pump to strain out junk. Plump the pump so it feeds into the original fuel filter on the engine - helps keep even more junk out of the injectors.

You can use a cross reference chart and find non-Volvo fuel filters that will replace the Volvo filter on the engine. Much cheaper.

And wire it correctly so turning off the key kills the electric fuel pump in case of fire.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 07:09   #5

Repair kits for the fuel feed pump are #834255. Check around on line....

Replacement pump is #21134777, and requires a longer fuel hose # 840001, or make your own hose.

Because your engine wasn't fitted with a primary filter the pump is probably full of junk and that's why it doesn't "squeek".

DougR
DougR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 07:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

One issue with mechanical fuel pumps is sometimes if the diaphragm ruptures, it starts leaking fuel into the oil. If you regularly check your oil level if it starts increasing, suspect the fuel pump.
Oil diluted with fuel isn't as good a lubricant of course, but a very real danger is if you get enough fuel in the oil, the engine will run away and the only way to stop it is to choke it off by blocking the air intake. Do not use a body part like your hand to do this though.
I'd can the mechanical fuel pump, go electric and carry a spare. I think about $50 for a decent electrical fuel pump.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 12:15   #7

One issue with electric pumps is that when your battery dies, so does your engine. You can't even hand crank it to start. At least with an MD7 you can easily start it with the hand crank, even if the battery is toast. (Assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump)

DougR
Old 13-08-2015, 16:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
One issue with electric pumps is that when your battery dies, so does your engine. You can't even hand crank it to start. At least with an MD7 you can easily start it with the hand crank, even if the battery is toast. (Assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump)

DougR
They use so little power that even a trickle from solar will keep it running.
Old 13-08-2015, 17:24   #9

Any reason to not fit an electric pump before the mechanical? Naturally both after a filter.
Then there would be electric to prime with. Not specifically Volvo as Yanmar is similar in. That department.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 18:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Any reason to not fit an electric pump before the mechanical? Naturally both after a filter.
Then there would be electric to prime with. Not specifically Volvo as Yanmar is similar in. That department.
Sure but if you have a leak in the mechanical pump, you are still screwed. Another reason to ditch it.
Old 13-08-2015, 18:36   #11

Electrical or mechanical, both have potential pitfalls. Pick your poison....

DougR
Old 13-08-2015, 19:38   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Starship

I had a fuel leak from my lift pump so replaced it with a new one. Biggest issue was getting access. Cut a access under my chart table. All is good now. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439519884.102611.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	107247Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439519907.216382.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	107248Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439519921.116746.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	107249
NCSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 19:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
My life pump doesn't squeak when you press the lever but it works fine.
Yeah. That's what I figured. I know not to take things apart like that just because the manual says so.

Thanks to everyone for the information.
Old 13-08-2015, 19:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
They also make a new design of pump which costs $$$ (it is a Volvo after all).
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
The special fuel line costs nearly as much as the fuel pump - ie $$$
Yeah. I'm starting to see this theme with Volvo.

Quote:
You'll have to hunt around, but you can usually find used fuel pumps. They are all the same from the MD-7 thru the 2000 series of engines (2001, 2002, 2003). Early VW's used the same fuel pump as the Volvo, but again getting hard to find.

Having a small 12vdc electric fuel pump (as mentioned in another post) is another possibility. It's big advantage is that it will reprime the entire fuel system in less than a minute after changing fuel filters.

If you go electric, make sure that you have a fuel filter installed BEFORE the electric pump to strain out junk. Plump the pump so it feeds into the original fuel filter on the engine - helps keep even more junk out of the injectors.

You can use a cross reference chart and find non-Volvo fuel filters that will replace the Volvo filter on the engine. Much cheaper.

And wire it correctly so turning off the key kills the electric fuel pump in case of fire.
Thanks for the information. I saw the marked resemblance between my pump and the VW, Porsche and Mercedes pumps. At this point I am going to clean out the filter and use the pump as is, but if she won't run I will look into other electric options.

I know that the pump is not that big of a deal from Nigel Chandler who noted that you can "limp home" with a gravity fed diesel system if your pump fails.
Old 13-08-2015, 20:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Repair kits for the fuel feed pump are #834255. Check around on line....
DougR
$150. OW! That won't be happening if I can help it. Thanks for the info though. It is saved in case I need it in the future.

Tags
fuel