Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 22:52   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: fuel capacity for small cruising sailboat

The Pardeys have sailed around the world a couple of times with no fuel at all, which proves there's no hard and fast rule. But more fuel gives you more flexibility to motor through dead calms and to get out of the way of storm systems, and to generate electricity, make water, etc, etc. I carry 700 liters, myself.

If I were you, I would take advantage of the fact that you have a boat which is superb in light air. Acquire a good inventory of light air sails. I would consider adding tankage, however. You can probably get a bladder tank in there somewhere. Another 100 liters of fuel is not going to destroy your boat's sailing ability.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 23:06   #17

How much is up to you. 20 gallons is a reasonable amount. More can be nice. I would add proper tankage rather that carry jugs on deck ... ugly and slow.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 23:18   #18

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

hpeer. I can tell you exactly what caused your problem. Because the heater plugs or excess fuel starting device was faulty on your diesel engine the previous owner/ lazy mechanic tied a bit of rag to a stick/wire to dip into the diesel fuel, then they lit the rag and held it to the air intake while turning the engine over on the keystart to start the engine when it was cold/low battery. Having done it several times with the same bit of rag, bits of rag disintegrate and fall in the diesel tank, when the fuel sloshes around the rag may partially cover the feed pipe, giving a loss of power or missing which causes the boat motion to change, that sloshes the rag away and the engine will then run fine. Or, the rag passes the intake pipe, get sucked in and stops the engine. Should of fixed the excess fuel device/heater plugs in the first place.
I hope this helps someone.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 00:15   #19

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
hpeer. I can tell you exactly what caused your problem. Because the heater plugs or excess fuel starting device was faulty on your diesel engine the previous owner/ lazy mechanic tied a bit of rag to a stick/wire to dip into the diesel fuel, then they lit the rag and held it to the air intake while turning the engine over on the keystart to start the engine when it was cold/low battery. Having done it several times with the same bit of rag, bits of rag disintegrate and fall in the diesel tank, when the fuel sloshes around the rag may partially cover the feed pipe, giving a loss of power or missing which causes the boat motion to change, that sloshes the rag away and the engine will then run fine. Or, the rag passes the intake pipe, get sucked in and stops the engine. Should of fixed the excess fuel device/heater plugs in the first place.
I hope this helps someone.
Thanks Irish Rambler I was just thinking about the same thing next time I have trouble trying to start my engine .Is it okay if you just use a small rag and only have a little fire to get the engine started ?
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yea, if you load the boat down with enough fuel weight it won't be able to sail in light winds, so you will be motoring. Most of your cruising will be in light air for most people.
It's allways tradeoffs I know. Thou taking it into consideration in early stage of boat design helps a lot when you have a lot of allowance for cargo, in my case I'll should to take some waterballast when fuel tanks get low.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I used 38 gallons, one full tank, from Gallapagos to Australia.

If you are not happy take a few Gerry cans.
Mark - what percentage of the time would you say you motored? What is your engine's hourly fuel consumption?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
How much is up to you. 20 gallons is a reasonable amount. More can be nice. I would add proper tankage rather that carry jugs on deck ... ugly and slow.
Half the boats heading south along the left coast of North America have both blue and yellow jugs lashed to the starboard rail. If it helps keep the boat flat, it may actually improve the boat's sailing ability. Just remember not to pour the stuff from the blue jugs into the diesel tank, and not to drink from the yellow jugs.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17   #23

I would at least double the 20 gal capacity. You've probably only got what... 200- 250 mile range now?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:48   #24

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Jacana. I know you Oz guys just love to blow the froth of a few and have a barbie, but there's no need to get carried away. Those little blow torches from the kitchen that you use for your creme brulee do the trick just as well !
Be a pal and have a Bundaberg for me.
Cheers!
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 18:05   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I used 40 gals from Hawaii to Bremerton, WA with a one gallon an hour 4-107. I motored an hour every other day for a trip of 23 days and motored all the way from the entrance of the Straits of Juan de Fuca plus a couple other hours while exiting Pearl Harbor and entering and exiting Hanalei, Kauai. There were a couple light wind days where a bit of motoring was necessary but kept it to a minimum.

I would recommend at least 40 gallons for cruising. You can carry extra cans if you are intending to go a lot farther.

kind regards,

Tags
cruising, fuel, sailboat