Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 19:18   #1

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa
Fuel at injectors

Just changed the fuel filter on my Perkins 4236, bled the fuel lines and it just about started. Bled again and now no fuel at the injector lines. I'm thinking it may be just the battery not turning the engine over fast enough, so I've left it on charge and will try again in a few hours. Failing that, any ideas?

I did recheck the bleed points and I have fuel to everywhere except at the injectors, and the engine was running well before the filter change.
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 19:48   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I bet you have an issue with the fuel lift pump.
Old 05-09-2013, 22:12   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Fuel at injectors

I assume the engine has a hand primer pump maybe combined with the mechanical lift pump if you have fuel everywhere except the injectors?

Next step is to crack each injector line at the injector until fuel comes out while cranking over the engine. Just loosen fitting slightly and tighten when air bubbles stop and fuel is constant. Use caution and ensure you are clear of all rotating/moving parts as engine will likely start after cracking 2nd or 3rd injector line. Usually a good idea to finish bleeding the rest of the injector lines even though engine is now running to avoid injector damage. Usually easy to tell if engine is firing on all cylinders as engine operation will smooth out.

Lots of other threads on here regarding this topic.

Good luck.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53   #4

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Fuel at injectors

If you've bled the fuel filter I would bleed again at the 2 small bleed screws on the fuel pump, bleed the bottom one 1st until fuel runs clear, then the upper one. Crack the injector lines on cylinders 2 & 3. When you turn the key to start it make sure the throttle is in the fully open position. Once it starts to fire reduce the throttle setting and tighten the injectors lines.
I changed filter head from a CAV sandwich type filter to a spin-on filter head and a nifty little hand pump sold as an extra that's very easily fitted at the filter head with 2 longer banjo bolts and saves the contortions and sore fingers on Perkins standard arrangement, it's not expensive and you can find it at A.S.A.P Supplies.com
if you are changing the fuel filter with the modified spin-on set up you simply run the engine for 5 mins, stop it, remove the spin-on filter, fill the new filter with fuel, and screw on, start the engine on tickover and it may hunt once or twice but generally with a little practice/experience you don't need to bleed the fuel system.
I hope this helpful to you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle