Good news from the bilge
Yesterday I completed the removal
of the set screws in the PSS.
I want to thank you all for the good suggestions.
I tried about all them. The one I had the most hope for was the TORX. I bent a couple of them before I gave up.
If you have to go there, here is what worked for me.
I called PYI and spoke to Fred Hutchinson there. He seemed knowledgeable about the issue and gave me some recommendations.
He said it would come out by using a LH 1/8" bit.
So I went out and got a bigger bit LH 3/16" bit and a good quality flat tap.
I broke the cheap
tap "IRWIN" quickly, it was made of some type of cast metal.
I also used a caliper to check the depth
of my drilled hole against the distance to the shaft.
I got most of the screw material out with the 3/16 bit. Once I got close to the bottom (1/16) I used a grinder to flatten the end on the bit.
That to help get the material close to the edge off without drilling into the shaft.
I used lots of q-tips to extract material.
I also used a vacuum cleaner with a hollow coffee stirrer to vacuum and blow material out as well.
I estimate it took me a good 10+ hrs to remove these little buggers. Each night I put 50/50 ATF/acetone on the screws to let them soak.
I moved the ring about 3-4mm back on the tube and fired up the engine
At 2500 RPM
there is only an intermittent drip.
I tef-gelled the screws this time - NO more Loctite.
Muse 10 - S402/'97