Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 21:57   #61

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Ford Lehman 80 head removal

Ok, I’ll tell him to toss the engine.

Might as well go electric while he’s at it.
Old 28-11-2022, 21:59   #62

Show me a truck or a tractor with a Ford in it or the 2700 , bet you can’t find one , you can find plenty with Detroits in them , I’m calling BS on the 20 30,000 hours by the way I owned probably 20 120s , At least and I personally never seen one over six Thousand hours and that’s being generous , Does a 10,000 hour exist maybe , I’ve never seen one and I’ve been around them for over three decades ,Probably four
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 22:01   #63

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
Ford of England I believe designed the engines , I believe I could be wrong or basically designed by Ford of England or someplace over there anyways ,they spent a lot of money on tooling and designing and that cost a lot of money , originally wanted to use it as a truck engine , I was told but they failed miserably quite often your fabled injector pump not a very good injector pump so they had to find a home for them , remember a lot of money spent on tooling to build the engine , They worked adequately for constant load applications generators water pump , boat engine they priced them cheaper than anybody else and sold whole bunch of them remember to pay for their tooling, Boat builders look for a good deal hence the Ford lemon , They’re not really a re-buildable engine like what Detroit two strokes 53 series 71 series , those are bulletproof engines you can literally shoot them and rebuild them in frame , removable Cylinder sleeves you could repair one cylinder if it went bad you wanna talk about a good engine Detroit series are wonderful engines , Give me a list of people who use these engines I’ll bet you can’t if it wasn’t for the boat those engines would’ve died of death long ago , yes they use them in limited use some combines are a water pump some agricultural uses remember they were cheap engines so they got used for that reason
So, still nothing more than an opinion, apparently no experience or references to likeminded "experienced" users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Well Baby old son, apparently you believe that your opinion far outweighs the experience of others here and elsewhere . Please, let us know where you have gleaned the experience that demonstrates the validity of your opinion.
FWIW any engine if treated badly and denied regular maintenance may prove to be a problem, a reflection on the maintenance, not the product.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 22:32   #64
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Show me a truck or a tractor with a Ford in it or the 2700 , bet you can’t find one , .........
Here you go.

For more info - https://everythingaboutboats.org/ford-2701c/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-D-Series.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	268074  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 22:47   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Show me a truck or a tractor with a Ford in it ......
I would love to know of a Fordson or a Ferguson or a Ford N series or Ford NAA series that did not have a Ford engine in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_N-series_tractor
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 23:03   #66

Quote:
….I’m calling BS on the 20 30,000 hours by the way I owned probably 20 120s , At least and I personally never seen one over six Thousand hours and that’s being generous…

So… let me follow this one through, work with me a bit…

Everyone seems to think these engines last forever.

YOU have managed to destroy 20 of these engines in a very short time.

I’m seeing a common fault here, tell me if you can spot it too.
Old 28-11-2022, 23:05   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

FWIW any engine if treated badly and denied regular maintenance may prove to be a problem, a reflection on the maintenance, not the product.

Oh, hang on, UB beat me to it. [emoji28]
Old 28-11-2022, 23:06   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Kind of funny I owned one of these ford trucks mine had a V-8 gas motor in it , it was a Bucket truck for building communication lines , I’ve been around engines my entire life , just about everything you can imagine , the only place I’ve ever seen the Ford engine is in a boat ,so popular engines they were not , however if you like your engine and you wanna sing it lullabies and go to bed with it what do I care , why would you spend money rebuilding one is beyond me , The things are 40 years old
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 23:28   #69

Boat: Volkscruiser

Baby Tug I just did a quick search of my files, and I quickly found a Lehman with 6000 hours on it. I have plenty on record with 4000+ hours.
I have no idea if they are a good motor, but rebuilding one saves all the drama of changing the engine beds prop etc.
Another Lehman in a boat I surveyed dumped all its oil in the bilge. But again, the engine was badly neglected.
I agree about the Screaming Jimmy, the old man had one in his trawler and boy it got flogged.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 01:01   #70

Baby tug, ya got me on the ropes there, I like Detroit diesels too… but a yacht engine they are not, and EPA pretty much banned the thirsty buggers. Way more than 40 years old ....try 75 ( WW2) and they had a few unique problems, I’ve replaced a lot of camshafts on em and you haven’t really lived till you’ve been in the same room as a runway 16V92 …and trying to manually drop the emergency shutdown flaps.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lehman, removal