Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 13:15   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Ford Lehman 80 head removal

Ok, just to help people relax.

Yes, this is an old engine. I know. He knows.

Yes, it is a failed head gasket or cracked head. This has been confirmed using a number of techniques including some high tech gizmo that analyses the oil, or the cooling water, or maybe the alignment of the planets, buggered if I know.

But let’s get real people. A new engine will cost him north of AU$15K, just for the engine, let’s not even think about the installation coasts. A new head gasket and/or head repair will cost him less than AU$1K including labour.

These engines seem to go forever and this one is barely run in (it’s a sailing boat after all). So, as long as parts are not a problem it makes complete sense to keep this thing going.

Now, having owned a similar engine where parts WERE a problem I can tell you that yes, I ripped it out and plonked in a nice new Kubota based Beta. If the parts supply proves a problem for him in the future I will recommend he does the same thing.

So, let’s just credit us with having done our homework please.
Old 07-11-2022, 13:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Matt, if you and your mate get into it, it would make sense to get the injectors out and spray tested. There's a place in Brisbane does it, and so I'd think your area would have one, too. Keeps them safe from damage, and if they need something, your friend will find out, or that they are totally fine.

In general, old tractor based marine diesels are simple engines, and hell for stout. Why does your friend think the head is cracked? I'd think a head gasket leak somewhat more likely, unless he knows something about the event which led to his conclusion? that he hasn't mentioned.

Ann

Ann,

The reason I mentioned a possible cracked head is that the symptoms can be indistinguishable from a blown head gasket. Some engines are very prone to cracked heads, but so far nothing in my reading has suggested this is the case with these engines so I’m optimistic.

I had a chat to my favourite engine head guys and they were very confident it would just be a blown gasket and that all would be needed was a light reface. Let’s hope they are right.

As for the injectors… well, yes, it would make sense, and there are plenty of places around here that could do the work. But the poor bugger has just finished replacing the standing rigging (at my constant urging, it was horrendous) so he’s in a bit of price shock at the moment. I’ve got a note to check prices for him, but I’m gonna feel cruel pushing him to spend more.

Frankly, I think he will end up changing boats if he gets into cruising for real, so the less he spends on this engine (within reason) the better, I say.

Matt
Old 07-11-2022, 13:55   #18

You still haven’t told us what caused you to check for a blown head gasket, did it overheat or are you getting water coolant in the oil , Excessive crank case pressure ,what caused you to look for a problem , tell me that and I can tell you if you’re wasting your time or not with a gasket, As to whether these are good engines or not , not particularly regardless of what you hear on the website , I’m very familiar with the 120 not so much with the 80 4 cylinder , Like I said if it’s a matter of money lift Just the head enough to get the gasket out replace it and hope for the best , start it up and see what happens that’s not the proper way to fix it however but if that’s all you can afford then go for it , some people would get it running long enough to sell it ,not what I would do either
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 14:11   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ann,

The reason I mentioned a possible cracked head is that the symptoms can be indistinguishable from a blown head gasket. Some engines are very prone to cracked heads, but so far nothing in my reading has suggested this is the case with these engines so I’m optimistic.

I had a chat to my favourite engine head guys and they were very confident it would just be a blown gasket and that all would be needed was a light reface. Let’s hope they are right.

As for the injectors… well, yes, it would make sense, and there are plenty of places around here that could do the work. But the poor bugger has just finished replacing the standing rigging (at my constant urging, it was horrendous) so he’s in a bit of price shock at the moment. I’ve got a note to check prices for him, but I’m gonna feel cruel pushing him to spend more.

Frankly, I think he will end up changing boats if he gets into cruising for real, so the less he spends on this engine (within reason) the better, I say.

Matt

You never know, he might be interested in a nice Swanson 42.

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 15:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
You still haven’t told us what caused you to check for a blown head gasket…

Voices. In my head.
Old 07-11-2022, 15:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

You never know, he might be interested in a nice Swanson 42.

(tongue firmly in cheek)

A bit more room than a Duncanson 40, that’s for sure.

But I’d never sell a boat to a friend, no matter how much I trusted the boat.

A propellor maybe…
Old 07-11-2022, 17:04   #22

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

I would go for it. I removed and resurfaced a Lehman 120 head 2 years ago and it was pretty straightforward. There are resources online to help with the steps and the suggestions here are all good. Biggest challenge was access and dealing with the weight of it. The trawler forum also has many Lehman postings, so you may want to check there too. Good luck!
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 17:28   #23

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
A bit more room than a Duncanson 40, that’s for sure.

But I’d never sell a boat to a friend, no matter how much I trusted the boat.

A propellor maybe…

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 17:41   #24

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

I believe you can still buy a ford long industrial motor ,that’s all these are ,plus all the bits to marinise the unit low rating was 62 hp at2200 to 90at 2850 ,a verry good simple reliable but heavy engine .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 17:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
I would go for it. I removed and resurfaced a Lehman 120 head 2 years ago and it was pretty straightforward. There are resources online to help with the steps and the suggestions here are all good. Biggest challenge was access and dealing with the weight of it. The trawler forum also has many Lehman postings, so you may want to check there too. Good luck!

Yes, funny you should mention the weight, the Facebook guys also mentioned it. I’m starting to worry just a little. [emoji28]

As for Trawler forum, I considered them, but I had this kind of overthinking moment where I felt the 80 HP was probably too small for those guys.

Anyway, it all looks promising, a far cry from the advice I’ve received on some engines in the past. Advice that could be summarised as “abandon all hope, ye who pass this point.”
Old 07-11-2022, 17:45   #26

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

P/s there is no such beast as a cheap boat ,you either pay for it when you buy it or after you buy it ,but pay for it you do .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 17:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
I believe you can still buy a ford long industrial motor ,that’s all these are ,plus all the bits to marinise the unit low rating was 62 hp at2200 to 90at 2850 ,a verry good simple reliable but heavy engine .⛵️⚓️

Yes, I’ve heard nothing but good things about them.

I’m not sure it’s the perfect engine for a Duncanson 40 though. You’d probably know, what did those boats normally ship with? (This one belonged to an Adelaide Ford dealer, hence the engine choice.)
Old 07-11-2022, 18:03   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Yes, funny you should mention the weight, the Facebook guys also mentioned it. I’m starting to worry just a little. [emoji28]

As for Trawler forum, I considered them, but I had this kind of overthinking moment where I felt the 80 HP was probably too small for those guys.

Anyway, it all looks promising, a far cry from the advice I’ve received on some engines in the past. Advice that could be summarised as “abandon all hope, ye who pass this point.”
WAG - as the 80 is a 4 cylinder and the 120 is a 6 cylinder, a strong lad like yourself can probably manage the head of the 80 OR say to the owner "I've pulled it apart so be a good chap and bring the head up on deck..."
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 18:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
WAG - as the 80 is a 4 cylinder and the 120 is a 6 cylinder, a strong lad like yourself can probably manage the head of the 80 OR say to the owner "I've pulled it apart so be a good chap and bring the head up on deck..."

Your WAG is on the money. It’s a 2.7 litre four banger according to the manual. (Yes, I’ve read the manual.)

It’s not the smoothest engine I’ve met, but my old 3.3 litre four banger Nissan was a lot worse.
Old 07-11-2022, 18:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Matt, in the UK they also go under the names of Ford Dorset and the later Ford Dover. There are only minor differences.

Pretty rugged engines, mine had been taken to 200hp for use in a diesel rib and marinised by Mermaid in the UK.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/lehman-6d380/

Pete

Sorry Pete, somehow I missed this one.

What an amazing boat!

And I love the chromed rocker covers, a few of them seem to sport those.

Tags
head, lehman, removal