Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2021, 12:46   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: Flushing Dinghy outboard with fresh water

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Just don't lose the water plug.

Another reason my outboard gets a yearly fresh water flush whether it needs it or not!

I used to flush it with fresh water 2-4 times per year but have now gone to once every year or two when I have the engine up on the stern rail and not on the outboard bracket on the stern.

The plug on my engine is under the power head .........Mercury 2011 model 5HP bought new that year.
Yes it’s sort of a pain versus just having an adapter to tap into.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 13:52   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

Screw in out board motor flushing connection let’s you connect to hose

EBay
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 14:37   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinalleck View Post
Screw in out board motor flushing connection let’s you connect to hose

EBay
On my first 6-8 outboards that I had in the 70's and and 80's, I used to let the motor down into a large aluminum trash can and flush with fresh water after use, but these days, I don't flush with fresh water but rather salt water and quite often.

It's worked with this outboard for the last 10 years.

Plus, the motor is on the boat which is always in the water except once every 4 years when I pull it so I can sand and paint the bottom.

Mercury 5 hp outboard w/25" extra long shaft pushing a 6600 lb. Bristol 27 sailboat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 Stern.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	243990  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 20:44   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I have a portable outboard (3.5HP Mercury) and when I bring it home, I can just flush it on its stand in a bucket. However, I’d like to mainly keep this at the boat which will mean either on an outboard stand at the marina or on my outboard bracket on my stanchion. How do you all flush your dinghy outboard when on the boat when you can’t use the earmuffs since it’s a smaller outboard? I was thinking maybe rigging a 5 gallon bucket to the stanchion and running from there but curious for any feedback.
You can order a hose fitting that screws into a blanked-off port. Just swap the fitting for the blanking plug, turn on the hose, and start.

Another option is a heavy-duty canvas bag. Just fit around the leg, lash onto the motor or push pit etc via the reinforced eyelets around the top of the bag and fill with water. Of course if your motor does not have a gearcase, and therefore no neutral position, that can be a bit tricky .....

I also always use 'Salt-Away' or similar product for the final flush and rinse of the season.

Tags
dinghy, flushing, outboard, water