Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 15:07   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Flex Plate Failure

Is there a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft to support the end of the shaft like there is on a clutch system? I ask as it was always a good idea to replace the bushing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 15:19   #62

Boat: Ferrari. Enzo 11mtr cat

Kia Ora, I had just crossed the Wide Bay Bar in Queensland last Nov when I lost all drive on my stbd side. Luckily I still had drive on port. The drive plate had collapsed! I had replaced it when I re engined in 2014. So I got a new Sachs plate from ZF in Sydney, cost plenty. I had to pull the Nanni engine off the ZF saildrive to replace the plate then it’s a prick of a job sliding it back on the new one. I hope this one lasts longer. After we lost drive the breeze came up and we had a superb sail down to Mooloolaba! Now I’m lockdown at home in Auckland with no way of getting back to CHAMARAL in Queensland for a while, bugger!
FerrariSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 15:23   #63

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is there a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft to support the end of the shaft like there is on a clutch system? I ask as it was always a good idea to replace the bushing
No bering, nor bushing, since the transmission input shaft doesn't rotate relative to the flywheel/crankshaft other than the slight torsional dampening of the plate.
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 08:49   #64

Put your spare prop on and see what happens. If that one doesn't rattle you are going in the right direction. Before you put the folding prop back on take a bucket and drag it behind and see how much speed loss you can actually measure. I did that several times on 2 blade sailboats and came to the conclusion 3 blade is all around better and speed loss is more hype than factual. Might be different with ultra light racing ships but not 20k lb cruisers.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote