Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 09:53   #16

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Fitting a fuel valve solenoid instead of a pull to stop system..

A stop solenoid makes a lot of sense. My suggestion would be to install it in parallel to the pull cable so that you have both methods available. Make sure you order a stop solenoid with greater travel than your stop lever and then adjust it so that it does not hit the limit on stop.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 09:56   #17

I have a solenoid shut off on my system as standard but I have always envied those with manual pull system.

The reason for this is that once started, the engine is immune from electrical issues and all that will stop the engine is fuel or air starvation which I felt was much safer.
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:07   #18

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Ask an injection pump rebuild shop. Pretty sure there is a solenoid bolt on kit that cuts off high pressure fuel and replaces the shut valve. Not very familiar with the CAV/Lucas pumps (I'm a Bosch guy) but you want to shut down the high pressure fuel. Not the low pressure coming into the pump.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:07   #19

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have this red push button on my Yanmar 3JH4E for exactly that purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB7FE78C-26AA-48B0-82BF-AF619FD9CA69.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	215286  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:33   #20

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have 2 Perkins 4-236 in my motorsailer. They are equipped with solenoids that are connected to the stop lever on the CAV fuel injection pump. In 14 years I had a problem only once, when a female spade connector disconnected from the solenoid. It had gotten worn over the previous 20 years due to vibration I guess. I jumped down into the motor pit and pulled the lever by hand to shut off the engine. I have worked on a few boats having spent more than 50 years playing with boats. I have even seen a string being used as a pull stop for emergency. If you have a CAV hp pump it has a stop lever which safely stops the HP fuel delivery without harming your pump. The solenoid valve to shut the fuel off before the HP pump is not a good idea.
Old 18-05-2020, 10:53   #21

Boat: O'Day 40

Westerbeke 46 came both ways. Earlier had a cable/lever, later have a solenoid that has to be energized to allow fuel to flow. It's a CAV pump so maybe yours can be converted.
Old 18-05-2020, 10:56   #22

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
Why don't you just replace the servo with a shut off solenoid? When you want to kill the engine, you push a button to energize the solenoid until the engine stops. When there's no power, it returns back to the run position, so unless something goes really bad internally, you'll be able it to start to engine again. It's connected to the injector pump the same way with a cable. Attachment 215261
This is exactly what I replaced my fuel shutoff cable with on my Perkins 6.354.

I purchased a new tractor fuel shutoff solenoid on EBay for about $40. I made sure that it retracts when energized.

I made a simple but sturdy mounting bracket and attached to the fuel shutoff lever on the engine. I wired it to a momentary push button switch on the helm.

When you push the switch you hear an instantaneous click and the engine stops immediately.

It worked great for a while but suddenly stopped activating the solenoid. After some troubleshooting I realized that the switch was burned out.

I added an inexpensive 12v relay to the circuit and now the assembly seems bulletproof !

Good luck. Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:33   #23

I Have to say it is just welling up in me why do it electrically when you can do it mechanically with a stick ,rope , Pulley or lever. Easy to make strong easy to repair TRADITIONAL and can swim . A bucket of salt water in side the boat can immobilize the vessel . A few hours of flooding can destroy totally the whole system if it is ELECTRICAL.
Yes they use them in Helicopters when was the last time you saw a Helicopter Swim???

We used to praise COMMON SENSE Now we call it AI ( I prefer to call it acquired intelligence ) It is the same thing ! Some people get it with AGE
Most get some of it from Training Millennials think it is a Social Disease.

Michael Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:51   #24

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
A64 has the right idea as you want the failure mode to be in the way that makes sense. So do you want the failure to be run or stop? Personally I’d select run as I certainly wouldn’t want a failure to shut off the engine.
That's one of the beauties of a non computerized diesel. Once you get it running it doesn't need electrical power at all. You could have a complete electrical failure and the engine would still get you home. With an "energize to run" solenoid you can't do that. With an "energize to stop" solenoid the worst that could happen is you'd have to go down to the engine room to manually pull the lever to stop.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:55   #25

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I am afraid everyone seems to be missing my point. I have a manual shut off lever which is a pain. Its for emergencies only. Connected to it is a linear actuator / servo / solenoid. When it is powered it releases the stop lead and the lever moves forward. If the power fails it stays in its last known position either pull or push.

This linear actuator is a PITA. It corrodes over two years. The chinese always send me the wrong one.

My question was, and only one person has answered it so far, can I fit a valve in the fuel line between the lift pump and the injector distributer pump? It is a CAV, Hydraulic governed system.

Reading the spec the governer shuts off the feed on the low pressure side. That's what I would like to do. Just momentarily to stop the engine, or pull the handle in an emergency.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:03   #26

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Why???
Why not just run a cable from the fuel shut off valve to the cockpit with a t handle. When you pull it the engine stops. Foolproof. Simple. Does not rely on your electrical system. Works every time. I am surprised nobody has thought of this before.....
Not all progress is progress.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pope View Post
I Have to say it is just welling up in me why do it electrically

Why have a motor or any electronics? Why drive a car? Horses are simpler and dugout canoes need no servicing or keel bolts!

I am an electronics engineer and I want to minimise the reliance on electrics but also have complete control and information that electronics give me.

I have all sorts of gadgets but I also carry a simple liferaft. I dont need belt and braces seat of the pants stuff all the time but its good to know when the chips are down it will still work. I was once told any idiot can be uncomfortable - I was a new junior office out in the field for the first time, by a WO who had all the comforts of home.
Old 18-05-2020, 13:27   #28

"I am an electronics engineer"...

You have heard the saying - give a man a hammer & every problem looks like a nail...?
Old 18-05-2020, 13:32   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
"I am an electronics engineer"... You have heard the saying - give a man a hammer & every problem looks like a nail...?

I also know how unreliable they can be which is why I want to change from an linear actuator to an inline fuel valve using the KISS principle. BTW "give a WOMAN a hammer" has a whole different meaning.
Old 18-05-2020, 13:42   #30

Man was generic

Tags
fuel