Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 00:57   #1

Experience with Torqeedo 2.0

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 on a dinghy?

I'm looking for actual experience as there is limited information or reviews online. I'm not interested in peoples personal views on Torqeedo or electric motors in general.... there are plenty of other threads on this topic.

Cheers
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:20   #2

Re: Experience with Torqeedo 2.0

Watching.

I tried "investigating" this a few months back but got absolutely nowhere. What I couldn't get an answer on was the possibility of a DC to DC charging solution for the battery while away from shore power. All the information I was supplied with was AC to DC which I didn't like at all as it took away from the efficiency of the entire model I would prefer.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Watching.

I tried "investigating" this a few months back but got absolutely nowhere. What I couldn't get an answer on was the possibility of a DC to DC charging solution for the battery while away from shore power. All the information I was supplied with was AC to DC which I didn't like at all as it took away from the efficiency of the entire model I would prefer.
We currently have a Travel 1003. What im trying to see is how the speed difference might be. The website list only a 1 kt maximum speed advantage but its almost 2x the power output so to me i'm a little confused.

Referencing the charging. We only charge our Travel battery through DC to AC as they have a fast charger for it. With the battery for the 2.0 i think you could find a DC to DC charger from 12 to 24 volts, Victron and others make these (you can set them to charge lithium)... so i think that could work. Charging speed would just depend on how big your B2B charger is.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:54   #4

We weren't so concerned with the speed (the rated 2.7 kn @ ~half throttle seems fine) but the running time of 8 hours at that speed is what we were really interested in.

I was given the impression their Power 24-3500 battery requires a propriety charge controller. They produce AC and solar controllers but no DC to DC.

They do have a 12 / 24 DC to DC charge cable but only for the Travel line of outboards.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:20   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

The basic DC-DC converter will take the current and pass it through a "switching element". This turns the signal into a square wave, which is actually AC. The wave then passes through another filter, which turns it back into a DC signal of the appropriate voltage necessary.

So essentially running an AC charger from your inverters AC output is the same as a DC to DC charger. One source lists DC to DC chargers having 90% efficiency.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50   #6

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

I dont have experience with the Cruise model, I have the 1003.
There are things I like about the unit and several things I dont.
Very nice when it works but it occasionally decides to be unresponsive to the throttle (have to pursue this under warranty) and the construction of the control arm, being plastic is rather too flimsy (mine slid off the the cockpit seat onto the floor and cracked).

Maybe the Cruise is more robust as they say?
Strange that they wouldn't offer a direct 12v charging option.
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have an 1103 Travel for my dinghy. It is a back-up / light duty motor for the dinghy. The performance is as advertized, but one lesson I learned quickly was never to use full throttle if it can be avoided because it drains the battery at a much higher rate. If you run at half power, it will go for hours, literally. Like 6 hours at half power vs 55 minutes at full.

Very happy with it, but I'll also have a 8 to 10 HP gas outboard (have yet to purchase) when I embark on my long trip south in a year or two. For protected waters, short distances, reasonable wind / current, I think the Torqeedo will be my go-to motor because it is light, and it starts every time. If I'm worried at all about wind, sea state, etc, I'll use the big, heavy gas outboard.

Also, the Torqeedo breaks down and can be stored below, which is nice.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17   #8

Thanks for the post guys. We already have a travel 1003 and use it as our primary. So far we love it. I'm trying to figure out if there really is enough speed difference in the 1003 to the Cruise 2.0 to make a switch.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:41   #9

Boat: Mirage 33

I found their website very light on information on these products. Heaven knows why these days!
I sent an email and got full information back from MaryJo.Reinhart@torqeedo.com.
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclachlan View Post
I found their website very light on information on these products. Heaven knows why these days!
I sent an email and got full information back from MaryJo.Reinhart@torqeedo.com.
Thank you, I will give this a try. Getting info so far from them has been like pulling teeth.

Maybe I should take that as a sign...
Old 09-10-2020, 13:46   #11

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I think the problem for DC/DC charging is that I believe the Torqedo battery is a 48V battery so you would still need some means to bump up the voltage even if your boat is running a 24v system. Your still going to need an inverter. I suspect that a commercially developed marine inverter pushing out 120v or 240v is likely to be just as efficient as any home made device putting out 50v ( you need a higher voltage to provide a potential) unless your prepared to wire up 4 or 5 12v batteries series just so you can charge up the Torqedo pack. even if it is a 24v battery, as some suggest, you still need a higher voltage to provide the potential (otherwise it could even work in reverse with the Torpedo battery trying to charge your house batteries)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 15:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I think the problem for DC/DC charging is that I believe the Torqedo battery is a 48V battery so you would still need some means to bump up the voltage even if your boat is running a 24v system. Your still going to need an inverter. I suspect that a commercially developed marine inverter pushing out 120v or 240v is likely to be just as efficient as any home made device putting out 50v ( you need a higher voltage to provide a potential) unless your prepared to wire up 4 or 5 12v batteries series just so you can charge up the Torqedo pack. even if it is a 24v battery, as some suggest, you still need a higher voltage to provide the potential (otherwise it could even work in reverse with the Torpedo battery trying to charge your house batteries)
Nope. The Torqeedo 2.0 / 4.0 battery is 24v.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/pr...-/2106-00.html
Old 10-10-2020, 02:41   #13

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Nope. The Torqeedo 2.0 / 4.0 battery is 24v.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/pr...-/2106-00.html
I note that in the specs the nominal voltage is quoted as 25.2v so you would definitely not be able to charge it off even a 24v lead acid battery system without some form of inverter. I see I was correct about other Torqedo battery packs being 48v though (obviously the Cruise 2.0 is the odd man out). For what it's worth, I use a Bison 68 electric outboard which is a fraction of the price (£170 the last time I checked) and runs on 12v. I use 12v lithium golf cart batteries at around £200 each. I could buy an awful lot of Bison outboards and battery packs for the cost of one Torqedo syste. Even my batteries need to be charged with a small 300w inverter and mains charger. (the lithium batteries have higher nominal voltage than 12v lead acid battery)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:31   #14

Quote:
I note that in the specs the nominal voltage is quoted as 25.2v so you would definitely not be able to charge it off even a 24v lead acid battery system without some form of inverter. I see I was correct about other Torqedo battery packs being 48v though (obviously the Cruise 2.0 is the odd man out). For what it's worth, I use a Bison 68 electric outboard which is a fraction of the price (£170 the last time I checked) and runs on 12v. I use 12v lithium golf cart batteries at around £200 each. I could buy an awful lot of Bison outboards and battery packs for the cost of one Torqedo syste. Even my batteries need to be charged with a small 300w inverter and mains charger. (the lithium batteries have higher nominal voltage than 12v lead acid battery)
The Victron DC to DC chargers allows you to set the output voltage.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...50-400W-EN.pdf

I will look into the motor you mention.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:45   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Indeed. There is nothing to be gained with a DC-DC charger.

Furthermore, are you going to be charging the Torq battery a lot off battery power? I wouldn't. I would be running the generator, motoring, or on shore power whenever possible instead of burning battery power. Of those cases only power from main engine alternator even requires the inverter which, as Martkimwat correctly said, is over 90% efficient anyway.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc