Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 20:21   #16

Re: Exhaust Riser Wrap, Muffler Tape coverings

I used cheap household external water based acrylic paint over fiberglass tape. It's been there for thirty or more years. The only problem is that it is tricky to deal with where there are bolt /fittings etc. as it has become stiff from the paint. The SS wire sounds OK but it won't stop fibers from getting air-borne.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 22:26   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In the good ole days we used asbestos fabric. It was cheap, lasted forever and was pretty tidy. Likely not a popular method these days!

Jim
Old 13-10-2020, 07:15   #18

Boat: some old Tub

Aha! Lancerbye mentioned Water Glass, and it's a Paint base with Sodium Silicate added.
Super old school, and high resistance to heat. I'll try it on an offcut and report back.

That's what i've seen on offshore Trawlers and inspired me to have a shiny white engine
room of my own. The Foster's LAGFAS looks promising but I can't find a SoCal vender for it.

Everyone has been super helpful, but at 60 bucks a foot, lace-up blanket wasn't cheap
for my 12' run. The tape was 25. for a 50' roll, it took two. I'd love to just wrap it up
in silicone, but I've seen it break down and get gummy, so... eew?

Again, I'm grateful to the Forum for your years of wisdom. All Hail Jambi.
LobeliaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 07:42   #19

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobeliaBlue View Post
Aha! Lancerbye mentioned Water Glass, and it's a Paint base with Sodium Silicate added.
Super old school, and high resistance to heat. I'll try it on an offcut and report back.

That's what i've seen on offshore Trawlers and inspired me to have a shiny white engine
room of my own. The Foster's LAGFAS looks promising but I can't find a SoCal vender for it.

Everyone has been super helpful, but at 60 bucks a foot, lace-up blanket wasn't cheap
for my 12' run. The tape was 25. for a 50' roll, it took two. I'd love to just wrap it up

The high temp silicone spray I linked previously isn't like what you describe. In fact, doesn't even seem like a silicone product once it cures properly. Definitely would not use a RTV silicone as suggested by someone else.

Agree the Water Glass may be the way to go though. The problem w/most of these hard coatings is once on, you can't inspect underneath to see if there are any issues. Even w/using SS pipe for the dry riser, the potential weak point will be the welds.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 08:21   #20

Hi Bill - the tape I used was this stuff on Ama. 'Titanium tape with Lava Rock', lol.
It comes with some SS zip ties but I moused up the bends with safety wire.
(top tip to whoever said keep it onboard, you also need the special pliers for it)
I'm really curious about the silicon spray now. Going to get a can and see.

So, the more I read about WaterGlass, holy cats. I need this in my life.
There's lots of mad scientist YouTubes about it, some sort of wonder glue.
I'm imaging scenarios where this bizarre gloop saves the day.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...e-Water-Glass/
Old 13-10-2020, 08:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var Korall View Post
This may be the product you are looking for: Foster 81-42W LAGFAS Adhesive/coating. fosterproducts.com. I have had good results with it.
Daniel Schwartz at Foster & Childers West Coast Sales says this product is not rated for over 200F.
Old 13-10-2020, 16:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobeliaBlue View Post

Yea will agree that other suggestions sound better than RTV silicone. But I still might try it myself as it is working fine on my hose joint at the end of the ss pipe exhaust. That is at water injection point though. What did you see the silicone break down & get gummy on BTW?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, muffler