Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 06:13   #1

Boat: O'Day 30 CB
Exhaust hose reducer?

My new-to-me O'Day 30 with a 2QM15, is getting splashed at the end of the month. As part of the refit, I replaced the 40 year old exhaust hose. The old stuff was apparently compliant enough to attach to the lift muffler (2") and the transom fitting (1.5"). The new hose will not compress enough to grab the 1.5" fitting.

Easy enough, I ordered a reducer, which is now in limbo somewhere. The boat is 3 hours away, and this weekend is really my only chance to start her, have time to fix anything, and still make my launch date.

I'd REALLY like to start the motor (I've never seen it run) before I launch. Can I wrap the 1.5" transom fitting with something so I can temporarily attach the exhaust? I just want proof of life- I'm not going to motoring for days :-)

Thanks!
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:16   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Exhaust hose reducer?

Instead of ordering a reducer, why not order a 2" exhaust transom fitting. Its not ideal to introduce restrictions in the exhaust. and by changing out the fitting you remove a joint from the system.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

pcmm has it. Introducing a constriction in the exhaust changes the backpressure, which in turn alters the evacuation of spent gases from the cylinders. That reduces the amount of nice fresh clean air in the next load being compressed. In nearly all cases less back pressure is best; The only engine I've ever met that needed backpressure was a two-cycle motocross bike that used resonance in the (very loud) pipe to capture the next load in the cylinder. Note that racing engines don't have pipes....
Old 16-04-2021, 06:58   #4

I agree that the transom fitting should be swapped out for the correct size. It's also been this way for 40 years- it will be OK for another season.

Currently, the boat is 3 hours away, just off Lake Michigan. It's cold. Messing with epoxy & such to move bolt holes is going to take more time than I am devote to it now. Next year, the boat will be 1 mile from my home & shop. I'll correct a WHOLE LOT of evils. For now, I'm basically only interested in making her safe so I can get her home. I have a very small window to work on her.

I'm thinking I can just wrap shrink tape or something around the transom fitting- good enough for a few minute test run while on the hard.
Old 16-04-2021, 07:58   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I agree w/all the previous posts of getting the proper sized transom fitting (2").

You could jury rig it. Do you have any of the old 1.5" exhaust hose still? Cut off a piece and place over inside flange for a spacer. If you have normal 1.5" exhaust hose, the OD should be ~1.875" and may be enough now to clamp the 2" hose down. If still a little floppy, add some aluminum tape wrap on the 1.5" hose.

Again, this is only a temporary fix to test your motor.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 22:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If you have any fibreglass tape, that & RTV silicone will work for years to fill the gap. If you have time to let the silicone go off just the silicone will work. Current silicone gap filler at least 3 years old on our exhaust hose.

We have basically a 1/2 of a 2QM15 ( YSM8 ) seem to be pretty good engines apart from the parts pricing.

Failure points are exhaust elbows & oil pump clearances. I'd check the oil pump clearances if the oil light is slow to go off after starting FYI.
Good luck
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 00:53   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Because of the water injection exhaust gases are very low temperature. For your startup trial use whatever reasonable solution you have at hand and it will hold. Exhaust gas temperature is around 40°C right after the elbow, at the transom it should be even lower.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 18:42   #8

A bit of plastic tape wrapped around the exhaust fitting did the trick nicely.

A 5 gallon bucket run through showed me that I had some loose raw water and exhaust fittings, and that the motor starts and runs nicely. I can relax a bit before launch!

Thanks all!

(New thread with new questions coming. Thanks for helping to erase my ignorance!)

Tags
exhaust